Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epiphyte's Delight just killed many of my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post

At a minimum, please share with us what concentration you used & how it was applied.
    I don't remember the concentration, but I believe it was too much
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I used some Epiphyte's Delight on many of my plants the other day. I checked them out today and some of my plants are completely dead now (Pinguicula Caerulea, Brocchinia Reducta, part of my Sarracenia Purpurea, etc). I'm now starting to think this is what killed my Nepenthes Ampullaria.

That's just great.....
    I am sorry to hear about the loss. I have used Epiphyte's Delight at 1/4 strength from time to time, over the years, without any problems -- particularly for Nepenthes and Heliamphora . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, Wolf -

I feel your pain. I had a similar thing happen when I fed some of my Cephs and smaller Neps with "Hikari Cichlid Gold" Fish food Pellets that comes in the RED pouch.

I'd been using the green pouched ones just fine (Hikari Cichlid Staple"), and they are a tad smaller. Two days after using the red ones, one each per pitcher, about 30 pitchers turned to a mushy black... aarrgghhhh!

I remember it this way now: Green means GO, Red means STOP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"m very sorry that you lost a lot of your plants! It does sound like it was due to operator error and not the fertilizer. Crystal and Capensis both said it right. Never use at full dose. I use 1/4 with anything I feed. also If you have never fertilized before (wheather you have never done it before or a change in fertilizer) test a few plants first. See how they respond and change accordingly. I personly hardly ever feed (1-2 times per year). My plants grow just fine! Really the only reason I can see fertilizing CP's ever is in comercial applications where the longer you have the plant the more money you loose.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what's in this particular Epiphyte's Delight product but I only fertilized my Nepenthes, not anything like a Ping or VFT, Sundews, seeing as how they are so sensitive. I had my U. alpina melt down after getting just a hint of overspray from a "gentle" bug spray I was shooting at a Nep.

I used Gro More brand Urea Free orchid fertilizer on my Neps and Orchids to great effect. 1/4 strength of course. This is fertilizer that has it's main source of nitrogen as nitrate nitrogen or ammoniacal (sp?) nitrogen. Whatever you get should not say "derived from urea".

As it was explained to me Urea based fertilizers rely on there being an abundance of soil microbes to convert it from Urea to the nitrate available nitrogen. Neps and orchids are generally growing in soil-free mixes like LFS and Bark/coco husk which doesn't act as a good home for those urea converting bacteria and this urea not being converted is what leads to the burning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should think about this a little more, but I think an overdose of urea-based fertilizer is less likely to burn than an ammonia-N or nitrate-N fertilizer would. Urea won't boost the ionic strength of a solution and its absorption and adsorption don't have any direct pH effects. The rest of what Swords said about the need for microbial assistance is absolutely right. I don't fertilize CPs because, well, it seems like a crime against nature.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the conclusion was from the orchid shop guy (this is all his theory) was that it wasn't necessarily the fertilizer itself overloading the plant but rather the unconverted fertilizer salts crystallizing on the roots and preventing water absorption and future proper flushing of the roots. He eventually released his own gentle fertilizer called Orchid Jungle or something like that but it's a liquid and seems a waste when a 1 pound box of Gro More lasts almost a decade. Actually a couple years then it gets hard like brown sugar.

As far as my use of it went I probably fertilized my Neps every two weeks at 1/4 strength during one of the twice/thrice weekly flushes but I also fed each operational pitcher a defrosted cricket every week or two. Since I didn't have any Neps that I didn't fertilize & feed (other than establishing cuttings) I can't say for sure that the fertilizing made them grow faster than unfertilized plants but from peoples description of how slow Neps were supposed to grow I think it seemed to help as mine seemed to grow rapidly. But ya do gotta go light with it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kinda why i like my fertilizer derived from fish......even if i go to concentrated nothing in there that a plant cant handle so all that will happen is i lose a pitcher cause the food being to rich.....course i only use it on Neps, Cephs and helis as far as CPs......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast