Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-Fibered Sphagnum & Conserving Water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results are in, and today's winner is... herenorthere! Just as soon as I receive the $64,000 checks from all of the other contestants, that is when herenorthere will receive his winnings.

Seriously, though, I must be getting senile with old age because I am now remembering ripping out all of the live LFS in the past. Maybe I should have microwaved the LFS in the beginning, because it just keeps on coming back. And, yes, live LFS has roots; they're shallow roots, but roots nonetheless.

Could I have a Mod close this thread? I found the one person that somewhat agrees with me, and that's all I really wanted. See you all next time, on raccoon city's The $64,000 Question!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raccoon city View Post
    And, yes, live LFS has roots; they're shallow roots, but roots nonetheless.
    Wrong! Bryophytes do not have true roots. Bryphotes lack a vascular system. Bryophytes have anchoring structures called rhizoids.

Peat moss, dead long fiber sphagnum and live Sphagnum all share one characteristic - they are capable of holding 20 times their weight in water.

Living moss may need more water because it is growing and both the mass and surface area increases.

Live Sphagnum has several advantages. If you want to keep it live you must pay more attention to the watering. It consumes nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which may not be all the good for your plant. It can discourage growth of other plants or mosses. It is self-renewing.

If you don't want live moss, just trim it off, dry it out and make long fiber sphagnum out of it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty moist around here so I don't have the same perspective exactly, but in my experience I can water less in pots with Sphagnum on top. If I really let the watering go, the top layer goes crispy, but the stuff underneath is still alive and moist. Dead strands like the stuff you get for soil dressings doesn't seem to hold water in a dry environment as well; it dries the same way peat does and is slow to rehydrate.
    Like NaN says, I trim my Sphagnum colonies down to the soil line once or twice a year and use it for stuff. It's great for starting Sarracenia cuttings and other plants, and you can usually find people who want to trade for it. It can be obnoxious - I have some seedling pots that are just miserable for moss - but I think it's too useful and easy to grow to forgo altogether.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the one person that somewhat agrees with me, and that's all I really wanted.
    If that's what you wanted then you should have said so. Don't make people waste their precious time trying to honestly answer questions that you aren't even looking for answers to.
    Oh yeah... And it wouldn't hurt to say thank you.

I'm sorry, but your posts have really rubbed me the wrong way.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theyellowdart: The topic at hand is LFS & Conserving Water. Even you admit that microwaving LFS is "not intended to make the media hold onto more water, which it will not." If you come up with an idea to conserve water, I will thank you. Which reminds me...

Thank you, Not a Number, for your awesome comments. Although rhizoids look and kinda act like roots, they are not roots; my bad. I have a comment about peat that is based on my own experiences. Although peat can hold 20 times its own weight in water, the standard 50/50 mix of peat and perlite (or pumice) will dry out a lot faster than regular lfs. This observation is only relevant to those that live in an arid climate, and don't have a R/O filter yet.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theyellowdart: The topic at hand is LFS & Conserving Water. Even you admit that microwaving LFS is "not intended to make the media hold onto more water, which it will not." If you come up with an idea to conserve water, I will thank you.
    I already answered that question out of my own experience. Other members have replied with ideas as well.

Here:
    (Me)
    IME, live sphagnum holds onto water better than the dried stuff. Your lucky to have it grow so easily for you.
    I also added...
    But if you really don't want it, try microwaving the dried lfs for a minute before using it. That should keep it dead.
    Because you had stated:
    As I have learned, if I keep my LFS moist for a few months, it comes back to life, and it seems to drink up all of the water that is supposed to go to my carnivorous plants.
    You then went on to ask rather rudely, as if I was pulling all of this out of my behind:
    theyellowdart: Have you ever microwaved lfs for an entire minute? If so, why? If not, why recommend something so strange when you have never tried it? I don't want to damage my microwave, or the lfs. I don't think microwaving lfs would actually help conserve water, though it would probably kill the lfs, and the microwave, for good...
    And I had my response and so on...

Point being, I was just answering questions and giving advice based on what you had written.

Edit: BTW, I'm not trying to demand a thank you out of you if that's what your thinking.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I hope I can wrap this thread up without further offending anyone. I think that theyellowdart and I just need to agree to disagree. Apparently he really was just trying to help. It didn't seem like it at first; but since he has been so adamant about having pure intentions, who am I to doubt him? I would like to thank everyone for their input. I have learned a lot over the last couple of days. We all come from different parts of the Universe, and what works for me may not work for anyone else; or in other words, there's more than one way to skin a CArnivorous planT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the moss is not stealing your water. It holds water very well, and I use it so I don't have to water as much. I water only about 1/3 as often as I did when trying to use peat/bark mixtures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast