What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google confusion

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Last night my wife tried Googling some motels for a trip we're planning Friday. For some reason it came up with the spanish page instead of english. I logged her out and logged myself in and tried it and it was still in spanish. I tried Google.com and I still end up with the España version. Anyone know whats going on?

you have to go to the language tools option next to the search bar and set it to english i bet...

Strange. Is the language in your account settings set to Spanish? Sometimes if you've set it to search pages of a certain language it can end up switching your default search settings, but I don't think I've ever seen it completely switch interfaces. Are you at home or abroad?
~Joe

what browser are you using?

I am using Firefox 3.5.3. I have tried switching the language preference back to English but it says my cookies are disabled which they aren't. I tried Google.UK and it worked fine and I didn't get the cookies disabled message. But when I tried going back to Google.com I ended up at Google.es. I think I may have some sort of browser hijacker. That's what it's acting like. I also shut off my ZoneAlarm firewall to see if that was interfering with cookies but that didn't help either.

---------- Post added 09-30-2009 at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-29-2009 at 05:12 PM ----------

I still haven't found a resolution to this. I still can't get the stupid thing to realize I'm in Colorado not Spain and it still thinks the cookies are blocked.

It may be a service provider problem. I got the following message page from Qwest on my last try: Page could not be found... yada yada yada.

How fast can ya learn Spanish?

I think I may have some sort of browser hijacker. That's what it's acting like.
I get very suspicious when weird stuff starts to happen. Have you scanned for virus & spyware?

I doubt its spyware, virus or a browser hijacker..
because those take you to sites someone wants to force you to go to..
for ads or to give you a virus or whatever..

but why would anyone want to force you to go to google's spanish language site?
whats the motive?
that doesnt make sense..

still..its always good idea to scan..
We have a local call-in radio show about computers, and the guys who run it have a thing they call the "security tango"..
if you run it according to the directions, its supposed to clear out any worms or viruses:

http://securitytango.com/

its designed for "average" computer users..not IT professionals,
so some of it might seem overly basic, depending on your knowledge of computers..
but its meant to be that way, so anyone can understand how to do it..

Scot

Well, as mysteriuosly as it started, it has quit. I went to Google.com and it came up in English

How fast can ya learn Spanish?
No hablo español. Teacher in Jr. Highschool thought I was doing exceptionaly well to learn that much by the end of the year. That and the primary colors and the numbers one through ten. :blush:

I get very suspicious when weird stuff starts to happen. Have you scanned for virus & spyware?
Yep, I'm paranoid too. I have a fire wall, antivirus and Spybot S&D. I ran the antivirus and S&D when the cookies kept getting blocked. They found nothing. ???

I doubt its spyware, virus or a browser hijacker..
because those take you to sites someone wants to force you to go to..
for ads or to give you a virus or whatever..

but why would anyone want to force you to go to google's spanish language site?
whats the motive?
that doesnt make sense..

still..its always good idea to scan..
We have a local call-in radio show about computers, and the guys who run it have a thing they call the "security tango"..
if you run it according to the directions, its supposed to clear out any worms or viruses:

http://securitytango.com/

its designed for "average" computer users..not IT professionals,
so some of it might seem overly basic, depending on your knowledge of computers..
but its meant to be that way, so anyone can understand how to do it..

Scot
I think your right Scot. I think my last wild guess about my internet provider (Qwest) having problems was most likely as I couldn't find any thing else that could cause the problem and the only site I had problems with was Google's. All other web pages were OK. Thanks for that link. I put it in my Bookmarks and will check it out here shortly.

No hablo español. Teacher in Jr. Highschool thought I was doing exceptionaly well to learn that much by the end of the year. That and the primary colors and the numbers one through ten.

I took French for 4 years. That was short-sighted! It would have been far wiser had I taken Spanish, considering we've lived in and around Hispanic communities, most of my adult life. About all I can say is Por favor, andele, arriba, and senor duck & senor mouse.

I only know one spanish phrase..a friend of mine in College would always say it, and it just seeped into my brain..(this was the late 80's, when the phrase was in vogue)

palabra a tu madre

Scot

Back