What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with changing a Windows Vista setting....

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
I got a new PC back in April. The OS is Windows Vista Home Basic. I really liked Windows XP, so I tried to arrange settings back to the XP GUI (particularly the start menu and folder menus) as much as I could. There were still some slight differences, but I got accustomed to them.

I would like to make a particular change, but I am having a hard time finding out how to go about doing it...

I use MS Paint for the majority of my basic image editing (cropping, adding text, etc.). Back when I had Windows XP, I would double click on an image and it would open in the picture gallery. If I wanted to edit the picture, I would right click and then select "Edit". The picture would then open in MS Paint.

Now in my current computer, I double click on an image and it opens in Windows Photo Galley, which is completely fine with me. However, when I right click and select "Edit" the image opens in Windows Photo Galley with its editing toolbar to the right (it has Crop, Adjust Exposure, etc.). I have to go to Open With... and then find MS Paint, and then it'll open there.

So... I want the image to open in MS Paint when I right click and click on "Edit" AND have the picture open in Windows Photo Galley when I double click (Open) it.

Is there a way to do this?

A couple of months ago, I looked for help on the subject. I came across a process to change something in the registry. The thing is that the path was already set to MS Paint. This is the site I looked at:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

Any help is appreciated!

This is how my registry looks like:

Hmm... That seems to provide a full association. So when I switched the .jpg extension type (for example) to Paint, it both opened in paint and when I clicked on "Edit" from Windows Explorer (folder) it also opened in Paint.

The thing I want it to do is open in Windows Photo Gallery (when double clicked on or Open is clicked on) and open in Paint when "Edit" is selected from the right click menu. I guess it's a partial association? Maybe this deals more with the "Edit" command and less with the file association....

For me, Windows Photo Gallery is good for browsing and viewing while Paint is good for the simple edits.

Idk but sometimes when I double click something it opens one thing, but when I run it as administrator it would open the correct one. So maybe you should try running as administrator before you open it so Windows Photo Gallery won't open? Idk. just my own experiance.

Back