Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need something to write on plant labels that won't fade

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's just a p-touch label maker... It doesn't connect to the computer and I peal the backs and stick it to the label. It doesn't print on the label. You probably won't find mine since it's a few years old Get ready to pay for tape though! It's not cheap.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one! That's what I needed. Thanks!

All of the ideas of using a pencil, writing with a sharpie and covering it with packing tape etc. are great ideas and will be very useful in the future, thank you! But I needed something to do about 500 plant labels with, and I wasn't relishing the idea of writing out all of those by hand. I looked into ordering some printed, but they have minimums of about 1000 per plant name, and I need about 20 of a plant name, so I was looking for something that would work best for what I needed to do. I think this will be the solution. I paid about 60 dollars for the printer and 2 rolls of the tape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tape machine is cool! I think I will treat myself to one since we have to work overtime this month at my job.

I found some machines on ebay, what is the difference between the Brother P Touch printers which makes laminated 1/2" tapes for $28.99 and the one which makes laminated 1/2" tapes for $289.99? Just the speed at which it can print?

How many labels can you generally get out of a roll of tape?

A few years back I got custom plant labels done from B & T Garden Supply. I think it was about $30 (plus postage) for 1000. I had just my Nepenthes website logo on the one side, these tapes would be great to have used on the other side for individual plants instead of writing them.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know.. I've not really paid attention... But you figure with each single label you print you use about 3.5-4"... so on a roll of tape (approx 26') you'll probably get about 78-89 labels.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    Hi all, I have blank plant tags/labels and I need something to write on them with that won't fade. Sharpies fade very quickly. I have tried paint markers, but if you scrape it with your fingernail they scrape off, so that won't work either. Any ideas?
    I went the Brother label-maker (the one attachable to a computer) route a few years back, just for the reasons you listed. The markers fade and pencil smears.

The adhesive labels don't fade and the adhesive used should be attractive to even NASA -- to keep those damn insulating tiles from dropping off. The stuff is just indestructible . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, 26 feet! One seller has the tape size listed as 0.5" x 26" and I was thinking, that might only be half a dozen labels! lol

Even those pro-printed B & T Garden Supply labels I had ordered could be scraped off with a fingernail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Ah, 26 feet! One seller has the tape size listed as 0.5" x 26" and I was thinking, that might only be half a dozen labels! lol

Even those pro-printed B & T Garden Supply labels I had ordered could be scraped off with a fingernail.
    What you read was, obviously, a misprint. It should have read 26' (think of the Stonehenge gaff in Spinal Tap), which is a common length for those tapes. Most of my labels are around 1" in length -- so 12 labels per foot x 26' = 312 labels per roll . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    But you figure with each single label you print you use about 3.5-4"... so on a roll of tape (approx 26') you'll probably get about 78-89 labels.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Most of my labels are around 1/2" in length -- so 24 labels per foot x 26' = 624 labels per roll.
    .... and my average is probably in between these 2. While I do manage to keep some short - like 0.5" - most probably end up being 1-1.5". With 3 lines of small print on a 0.5" tape - that's a decent amount of info. As Andrew noted above, they don't give the tapes away, but even so, I have no regrets with my purchase ... well - maybe a little - I want the one that hooks up to my computer so I can create different formats and save them. My handheld will only hold 10 in memory.

btw - the tapes are listed as 26.2 feet.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast