Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: annoying forum feature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah mine is like that I just noticed it since you said something, lemme see if I can trim it down.

Edit: I think it has to do with the size of the avatar in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I just realized that after posting and removed what I said. Didn't think it was up long enough for someone to read it. lol.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why take up two posts when you can just address people by name in one?
    i.e-

Scotty-
    blah blah blah

Frenchy-
    blah blah blah

I think that makes everything more streamlined and clean, especially when your going through large amounts of information. Two posts one after the other by one person makes a thread look messy, in my opinion.

I belong to some forums where they absolutely cannot stand double posting; sometimes to the point where you can be suspended if you do it too much. I'm not sure if it's because it takes up server space, or because it just makes unnecessary clutter.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wish to respond to multiple posts in a thread click the "QUOTE+" button at the bottom of the individual posts you want to quote/reply to then click the "Post Reply" button. Simple and neat if you bother to edit out the redundant or irrelevant portions of the quoted messages.

Every post is stored as an individual record in a database. The more records that have to be retrieved per thread the more work the server has to do and the longer it takes.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, nice tip on the quote+ - I hadn't figured that one out yet. Usually I just use the normal button, fill out my first response, copy the whole composition and go back to use the quote button again on a different message. It sounds onerous, but I'm good with keyboard shortcuts so it's actually pretty quick.
    Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if modern forums use a generous amount of caching and preflighting to cut lag. They certainly handle enough demand in most applications to justify it - this is just about the only forum I use regularly that doesn't drop connections or die outright on a weekly basis.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Oh, nice tip on the quote+ - I hadn't figured that one out yet. Usually I just use the normal button, fill out my first response, copy the whole composition and go back to use the quote button again on a different message. It sounds onerous, but I'm good with keyboard shortcuts so it's actually pretty quick.
    Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if modern forums use a generous amount of caching and preflighting to cut lag. They certainly handle enough demand in most applications to justify it - this is just about the only forum I use regularly that doesn't drop connections or die outright on a weekly basis.
    ~Joe
    Yes, "Quote +" is dynamite. I'm visit another forum dedicated to mafia games that use proboards are something like that and it is terrible, especially considering the function of the forum revolves around talking about multiple quotes. Using vBulletin is so easy I almost don't join forums that I want to participate in if they use anything other than vBulletin.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    I have noticed this recently..new feature or a bug?

you reply to a message..
    after posting, you want to reply to another message in the same thread..
    but no one but you has posted yet..
    it adds your new reply into your previous post!
    like this:

first post,,blah blah blah..

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

second post,,which should be a new post..but gets added onto the other one!
    so that both replys are in one post..

I dont like that..
    I would prefer to have two seperate posts..because they are different replys..

can this be fixed?
    thanks,
    Scot
    There was just simply no reason to have 2 replies by the same person side by side. using the Quote+ (as talked about above) is all you need to address separate people. There is a time out in which a later post (say a new though later on) would be made into its own post... But what's the use of 4 posts made in a row each having their own box? I can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    the function seems to have an interval, the posts won't conglomerate after a day or so in between each post
    Yes it does, currently that is 12 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devon.B View Post
    meh, I don't really care about it that much... I just don't really like how on chat you have to wait 10 seconds before saying something again, anyyywayyyy......
    Again, no reason to be able to send chat after chat after chat. If you take the time to write out a shout, by the time you need to respond to the next person and write out that chat the time limit will be up. I think I've hit the little warning thing once since I've turned it on. I am however going to make the suggestion that if you get the warning, what you've typed in doesn't go away and you just have to resubmit it... I don't know if that is possible for the coder or even something he'll consider although.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    If you wish to respond to multiple posts in a thread click the "QUOTE+" button at the bottom of the individual posts you want to quote/reply to then click the "Post Reply" button. Simple and neat if you bother to edit out the redundant or irrelevant portions of the quoted messages.

Every post is stored as an individual record in a database. The more records that have to be retrieved per thread the more work the server has to do and the longer it takes.
    Exactly, quote+ is exactly for that. If you look at this post, or like someone pointed out one of Travis's post, I think they are very clear on who you are talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    - this is just about the only forum I use regularly that doesn't drop connections or die outright on a weekly basis.
    ~Joe
    There are a few things that help this. First I run a dedicated server- it is much more expensive than some shared server but I have much more control over it (admin rights) and don't have to worry what someone else is doing over "there" that will affect our performance. Second, things like the feature being discussed here (and the chatbox send limit mentioned as well) that help keep demand on the server down. It takes a lot of work to keep a server up and running smoothly and efficiently. But I like to think I do pretty good at it Hopefully trying out the Quote+ feature will help you achieve what it is you're going after.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another big factor is that we have about 1/10 to 1/20 the number of users as most of the other forums I frequent, and our traffic is much more evenly distributed. News and media discussion forums are the worst, because everybody gets on at the same time right after a certain TV program airs or whatever.
    As for the delay on the chat program, from what I know about web development that might require some awkward auto-reloading behavior with the way our chatbox appears to be implemented. You might suggest that instead of the error occurring after the second message has been sent, the "Send" button should be disabled for ten seconds after being clicked. That way, you wouldn't have to put text back into the input field, as it would never have a chance to leave before the time limit runs out.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast