Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World rarest plant species

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    Titanum, spectacular, but not the rare-EST. Want one when I have goood size green house or two.

Swords I really want one of those crazy Welwitschia mirabilis. A plant that has only two leaves that continuously grow for nearly a century! They are a truly bizarre freak of nature. I can't help but love them!

I see those every so often on eBay. The leaves grow constantly, like your fingernails. It's green on one end, and ripped up and shredded on the other.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shucks, I can't find the article I'm thinking of... But there was a plant, a single HUGE individual that just propagated vegetatively and was actually the only living remnant of the species, if I'm recalling correctly. I believe the article was about successfully TCing it which people were excited about because there's always worry about losing the only remaining one to disease.

I'll have to take another look later. Fun topic, though.

I know about an extinct date palm species that was brought back from a 2000 year-old seed. so its not extinct, however theres only one, but they have more seeds and are hoping to achieve a pair of mates.
    I remember hearing about that in a hort class a number of years back. Very cool!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    There are tons of plants who can claim title of "rarest" due to environmental pressures or difficulty of cultivation. One I think is a fave rarity for me due to it's weirdness (not "prettiness") is the humongous succulent Welwitschia mirabilis which lives over 1000 years and only has two leaves in all that time. (that's only two wind shredded leaves)
    We had a specimen of one of these (not sure if it was the same species) in my botany class a couple of weeks ago when we were looking at the gymnosperms. Very unusual looking plant...
    -Joel from Southern California

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pick would be Hydnora africana the plant itself is so bizarre that you couldn;t even see it, but the flower had a bizarre looking. look like a fleshy eatting monster from underground. kinda like a vft but with 3 succulent.
    No leaves or chlorophyll are visible on Hydnora africana plants. Plants only become visible when the flowers protrude through the soil after good rains have fallen. Under favourable conditions it takes at least one year for a bud to develop into a mature flower. does this means this plant doesn't need light? more information on the this link http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hydnorafric.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one mentioned N. clipeata? what is it now. only 11 adults left in the wild?

worlds rarest plant-Dendroseris neriifolia. says their is only one individual in the wild left.
    http://uhaie.blogspot.com/2008/01/de...eriifolia.html

Indigo: it says it is a parasitic plant. no need for chlorophyll. look up Monotropa uniflora

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Shucks, I can't find the article I'm thinking of... But there was a plant, a single HUGE individual that just propagated vegetatively and was actually the only living remnant of the species, if I'm recalling correctly.
    I remember seeing a cycad at Kew Gardens and they said it was the only one of it's kind ever found, and it is male (maybe sterile -- I can't remember).

There's certainly some things rare in Hawaii too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jack, it's not a century but a millenium! Sometimes those Welwitschias live for 2000 years.

Yes Stinkpot, you can get them on Ebay on occasion but those small strappy leaves in the gigantic/tall pots just don't have that Lovecraftian pizazz of the ancient ones sulking out in the desert!

I have a cutting of Euphorbia caput-medusae. The main species which Hydnora africana infects, if anyone has any H. africana spores laying about - send em my way! lol

I read an article somewhere online where a guy did actually successfully infect his caput-medusae plants with Hydnora. There was pictures on the site and description of how he did it.

Here is Medusa's Head or Euphobia caput-medusae the main host of Hydnora africana the "serpents" or "arms" get up to a meter long on this species!
    Click the image for a large clear pic

Rafflesias are similar to Hydnora in that they infect Tetrastigma vines and then shoot out these crazy flowers. Infact both these parasites are classed in the same super-order of Rafflesianae. Here is the largest species Rafflesia arnoldii

Image from back cover of Rafflesias of the World by Jamili Nais. There is somewhere in the book a study of attempts to inoculate Tetrastigma vines with Rafflesia keithii IIRC but I can't remember if they were successful or not and of course I can't find what page it's on in the book at the moment!

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    no one mentioned N. clipeata? what is it now. only 11 adults left in the wild?

worlds rarest plant-Dendroseris neriifolia. says their is only one individual in the wild left.
    http://uhaie.blogspot.com/2008/01/de...eriifolia.html

Indigo: it says it is a parasitic plant. no need for chlorophyll. look up Monotropa uniflora

Alex
    i had no idea about N. clipeata only have that small amount of adult plants growing in the wild. i thought most nepenthes is being TC so... thank you for sharing

and yeah need more study on parasitic plant

the one Av8tor1 mention is kinda sad. no female Wollemi Pine Tree, so extinction for this species is surely but slowly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast