Thread: Among the best artistic displays made by any man

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Among the best artistic displays made by any man

Hi guys,

I am not sure how familiar people here are with Takashi Amano. The man is a genius and a simple glance at some of his work is enough to mesmorize anyone.

He has a gallery in japan. Check this video out. ENough said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNTMAf8KTI

This video and very appropriate music just leaves me stunned. I really want a tank like that one day.

cheers,

V

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked his work with Riccia fluitans and Caridina multidentata, Amano has really outdone himself with some of his tanks.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always see his tanks in the aquarium magazines I pick up. They're just amazing.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the guy who's work got me into planted aquariums in the mid-late 1990s. Basing the tank design on emulating a scene from nature (like a living landscape painting) more than a simple aquatic plant display, using the fish as mere accents to the overall scene. I had all the Nature Aquarium World books and accompanying publications whether I could read all of 'em or not! lol

IIRC Nature Aquarium World book 2 was my fave.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have honestly tried to make one of those tanks in the past few weeks. But man does it require some effort That sort of beauty only comes with a huuuge wallet, lots of time, lots of patience and just lots of resourcefulness. That vegetation is only sustainable by a C02 system. Then on top of that...there is regular need of pH checking. Early on the tanks need to be refreshed nearly everyday with the water change till all the silt is gone from the substrate. It requires exquisite eye for detail and man!!! most of those plants aren't even available here. Plus for that moss they use a mat sort of thing to make it grow like that. imagine sowing bits of moss onto mats. Either way...lol....I gave up for now. But damn...I sure want to make one of these when I have some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah man, I did all mine DIY! I had about 10 tanks at the height of my frenzy and did it all cheap (minus the plants and electricity of course).

gear for my 75 gallon tank:

Six 40 watt Sunshine bulbs (GE Chroma 50)
    Empty 300 GPH power filter
    DIY CO2
    3 pairs of Aphyosiemon australe killifish

DIY Co2:
    1 gallon Hawiian Punch jug (this is a hard square plastic jug that can't collapse or explode. DO NOT use a 2 liter bottle or a glass bottle)
    2 liters of 80*F water
    1 or 2 cups of sugar
    1 teaspoon of yeast

Run an airline from the jug to your filters input. The airline should not reach to the CO2 mixture. You only want to capture the gas at the top of the jug that is created from the mixture. You must use GOOP brand glue to glue the airline to the bottle cap. Aquarium silicone will not stick permanently on whatever type of plastic bottle caps are made from. Fill CO2 Jug with fixings once a month and shake vigorously. The filter pulls in the Co2 bubble and blasts it apart into the water supply. You can tell when it's working because the plants begin to visibly photosynthesize! They emit bubbles of pure oxygen after the lights have run all day with the Co2 the tank looks like some sort of Christmas extravaganza with all sorts of bubbles all over the plants and streaming to the waters surface. It's really something to see and so easy to do. I nearly wet myself when I saw it the first time! lol

As far as soil goes I used Shultz Aquatic Plant soil from Home Depot, Flourite by Seachem (big $ but I used it just to try it in my 40 Gallon) or Quartzite Turkey Grit and add heavy feeders their nutrients with Jobe's Fern and Palm plant sticks. If you have a ton of plants that are growing they will absorb the fish waste (within reason) and keep the water too clean and deplete the plants of nutrients leading to deficiencies. The reason for water changes on a well run plant tank is because you need to add minerals not remove them. I used a plant fertilizer called Yamato Green which was formulated by one of the forum members of the Aquarium Fish Magazine online forum I belonged to at the time but nowadays they have good plant fertilizers on most LFS shelves made by Seachem. Iron is the #1 thing my plants needed almost daily. Seachem sells an Iron only supplement. I quit bothering to test for Iron every day and simply just added a teaspoon every day when I fed the fish. I never bothered with Ph tests once the tank was up and humming. If you use an automated Co2 tank too much can go awry and daily testing is likely a necessity. DIY you can't over do it, or you are hard pressed to unless you put a bunch of jugs on one tank.

Use Ebay for the exotic aquatics you can get almost anything when it's plant shipping weather. Also a good LFS will have the neat aquatics, We have World of Fish here which has a great selection of Amano books, tools and plants. Once you get a tank of plants growing well they grow extremely fast. Every two weeks I was pruning and replanting the fast growers like Hygrophila polysperma (actually illegal now IIRC) and if you want to do more tanks you have plenty of self-renewing material. Though diminutive, Glossostigma elatinoides was my fave all around plant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what you describe is "resourcefulness". lol! Something which I am very bad at is the DIY projects like that. I have always shelled out extra wads of cash just to get ready-made things which I can fit together with a little bit of effort. But what I am also saying is to end up with that aesthetic quality. Sure... the DIY works...I guess you can keep it inside the aquarium stand shelf or something. But did you notice the ADA tanks have no silicone seams, their C02 equipment is all glass etc etc. I guess its just a matter of taste...but imagine one of these babies as the center piece in your house with absolutely minimal wires or eyesores in view.

BTW..have u used those bacterial culture things that they spread out as the base of their tanks?? Then they have different kinds of soils for the plants they use...like amazonia soil and something like that.

I have had an aquarium years ago and I remember that no matter how many times I tried...the plants always die. I never used any C02...never bothered pH checking... etc etc. I sometimes wonder how much of all this that ADA sells is actually required for basic aquatic moss and plant growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like anything, if they can sell you the merchandising rap they've done their job to stay in business. If you must have it say ADA on it then I can't help you there! lol

I think most of their accessory stuff is nonsense geared towards geeks who must have all the latest ADA gadgetry and paraphernalia. Give the plants half a chance and they'll grow. It's not rocket science as they seem to imply. Aquatics are quite easy if their requirements are met. Keeping them full of nutrients is the #1 difficulty! 1/4 of a Jobes fern & palm stick are great though to amend a decent soil. I liked Shultz APS best because it was readily available in the pond dept at Home Depot. It's very light so I added pea gravel to it to help hold down some of the more buoyant plants and also mix up the look of the gravel bed. Almost every type of plant (terrestrial or aquatic) loves APS which is a baked clay that does not break down underwater or cloud the water upon uprooting and replanting the rapid growers.

Too avoid plant melt downs and vicious algae blooms when using high amounts of light you have to do everything correct from the start not add to your project piecemeal. At day one you must use good R/O water, a lot of light (240 watts over a 75 gallon or around 3+ watts per gallon) and a lot of plants right from the start. The plants are the buffer that stabilizes the new ecosystem. You add the Co2 after the plants have settled in for a week or two. After another week of the Co2 on you can test for Iron and other water params to see what you need to add. I used 1 teaspoon of Iron (Fe) daily and 1 teaspoon of all purpose Yamato Green weekly which had all sorts of trace elements in it. These tanks feature very few fish, added later after seeding with fish food or something to get the nitrogen cycle going. The aesthetics is all personal, set it up however you like. Amanos designs are intended to be like a recreation of wilderness landscape with aquatic plants, rocks and driftwood. Take a photo of the woods, mountain range or something and try to replicate it using aquatic plants and you are on the right track to your own "pseudo-Amano". However, like a bonsai they are never "done" as the tanks evolve and the plants grow in they continue create new and unexpected scenes.

But if wires are your worry you can simply hide the filter stem behind driftwood or other tank elements. I had only a power filter intake and airline glued to it (a total tank intrusion of 1" x 12" maybe?) very simple to hide. The jug for CO2 goes under the tank stand. I never used heaters after I had one malfunction and boiled my tank of Bolivian Ram Cichlids and Banjo catfish. Besides using enough lamps to grow plants well heats up the water plenty.

Since the power filter is empty perhaps the heater could go in there if you really needed one. A proper nature aquarium uses no filtration other than natural processes, the power filter is there simply to gently circulate the water and dissolve the Co2.

I just thought of it, you can likely get a glass tube for a power filter intake and the underwater section of the Co2 stem from a science supply warehouse if you know the diameters you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast