Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hatching Phyllium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys never saw an oak leaf, nor did their predecessors.

Yes, they took nearly 5 months, maybe longer. As the eggs were laid over a looong period of time, I think I'll have hatchlings pop up out of nowhere for quite a while. I haven't been too careful to keep the humidity up. I have them in a plastic "Kritter Keeper", and the eggs are on a piece of rock wool in a low tray full of water. The only humidity they ever get from me is from the rock wool that I stuck the plant cuttings into. I don't know what they will or won't bother, but I have a feeling the only plants we need to worry about are Nepenthes, Pinguicula, Dionaea and Drosera, when they are small, and only Nepenthes and the larger Drosera when they get bigger.

I have so many eggs, that if even half hatch, I will put some in the lowlander tank with food and see what happens.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool info thanks for that bit about the Oak! Funny that some sites say "all nymphs will be lost without ready access to fresh oak." lol

Can a parade rose (the minis) or a raspberry plant be kept alive indefinitely indoors or do they have to be allowed a dormancy?

Do they eat a lot of leaves a day or could you just keep them in a tank with a live food plant (and other plants) or would they strip the whole food plant bare in a day or two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the species. Whatever I have, it's labeled Phyllium sp., Likes raspberry, blackberry, likely any-berry, and rose. They might take oak, I haven't tried. I bet they'll love the soft oaks.

They look like they eat rather slow, then surprise you the next day. I keep cuttings in there, I wouldn't try a live plant. The roses over here in Ca only slow down for a bit, then get right back to growing. The only thing I can call dormancy is them recovering from being cut back drastically each fall. The any-berries do go dormant, but usually don't loose the leaves.

If you are in a place that the roses and berries DO go dormant, put plenty of leaves in the freezer, and keep a couple mini roses in the window as insurance. I haven't needed to try frozen, but others have, with success. I guess it's like feeding my snakes frozen mice.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12