Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm really gonna do it... XP 64 to Vista 32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just don't know music software/hardware makers! lol

Consumer demand has no effect on them they make their stuff for one setup and the consumer has to configure a system to run it should they want to attempt to use it. I'm starting to have doubts anyone actually "uses" computers to record music! lol

I have Native Instruments software synths and M-audio 61 key Axiom keyboard and M-audio USB mic/line inputs. The music software/hardware works fine on the Vista 32 laptop, it's the processor or the harddrive on it that can't hack it when you play two handed. My desktop has all the latest tricked out stuff (for 2007) but I screwed up and had them give me the XP64 when I should have said XP32. The numbers dazzled me. I thought bigger = better but it = roadblock in this case. But once the OS issue is resolved the desktops HD is fast and it's a quad core with 4 GB ram and an "extreme" motherboard so it should be fine with two handed live playing.

I only have a few programs: Firefox, Open Office Writer, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and hopefully those synths, Absynth 4 in particular. All my stuff installs/works fine on the vista laptop.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I should already know that from having worked with video stuff. Six years of computer science has given me totally unreasonable expectations of what computers should be able to do. (And I thought high school was a disappointment!) I think the unprecedented public reaction to Vista might make the situation a little different this time around, though. But I can see your line of reasoning...
    Why can't you just find a version of the 32-bit XP? If that's what your gear is set up for, that's what I'd try first.
    ~Joe

PS - I dig the new avatar. "Sir, all cutlery is non-refundable." LOLOLOL
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I bought a used copy of XP32 off eBay would it be able to update itself enough upon installation that it would be usable? That would probably be way cheaper and what I would prefer anyway (XP). I had heard it was no longer available.

I thought of you when I found the pic!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I was saying, we run XP on 90+% of the PCs where I work (at my school.) Just download the service pack installers and burn them on to a CD with your laptop (or the desktop before you pull Vista off.) You could also just download the necessary updates from the fresh XP installation if you aren't too concerned about security. I ran Windows Update on some machines at work as recently as Friday, I believe, so as far as I can tell they're still supporting it for XP.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it, I went to ebay and scored a "new, factory sealed retail version of XP Home 32 bit Service pack 3" as buy it now from a powerseller with good feedback well over 12000 positives. Many feedback for this item, so hopefully if all goes well I'll finally be making some noise with these things soon.

If everything works out this "upgrade" will be $200 less than going to vista.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, that should work pretty well straight out of the box. It's still a good idea to run Windows Update, even though SP3 was the last major revision. Good luck!
    ~Joe

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 until the first service pack is released.

Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses

System Integrator/Builders that build custom systems still sell Windows XP with the system. There's no guarantee you will be able to activate a used copy from eBay without having to buy a license from Microsoft even with a valid product key and sticker.

Microsoft's policy is to support a product for five years from it's release date and another 5 years of extended support (security patches only). That includes the service packs. XP sp3 was released in March 2008 so extended support of XP sp3 should continue until March 2018. Due to popular demand Win 98 was supported beyond the 5+5 years.

The reason to use the 32bit versions is to support 16bit applications. There are thousands of business that are running legacy applications. It is simply too expensive for them to have the applications re-written.

You can downgrade from Vista Business or Ultimate editions to XP.

Microsoft extends XP downgrade availability to 2011
    The XP alternative for Vista PCs
    FAQ: Giving up on Vista? Here's how to downgrade to XP
    How to Downgrade from Vista to XP
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly the seller I bought from is selling new unopened retail boxes of XP - I assumed I'd have to try and find a used copy. It was not free but not nearly as pricey as buying Vista at BB or something. Several buyers had apparently installed the copy they bought before leaving feedback cos they said things like "good product, legit retail copy, works fine".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast