Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm really gonna do it... XP 64 to Vista 32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really gonna do it... XP 64 to Vista 32

OK, I've decided I want to go buy Windows Vista 32 bit and do a clean install over my XP 64 OS. Work has slowed down now so I will have time to start monkeying around with it next weekend. My PC is a custom build quad core so there is only the XP-64 OS disk, one for the video card and a disk for the motherboard. When I do a clean install of Vista must I reinstall the motherboard driver?

Also, should I reformat my file storage drive (which remained untouched when I reformatted C drive with a clean install last time) or will the transition from 64 to 32 bit not make any difference with file storage?

Thanks for any input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nooooooooooooooooo no no no

There is no reason to install a 32-bit OS anymore. None. (unless your computer is so old that it doesn't support 64-bit). There are only disadvantages.

I realize that you may have some compatibility issues in Windows XP 64-bit, but that's because most companies overlook it as Microsoft's aborted child.

These days, everything that works on Windows Vista/7 32-bit works on Window Vista/7 64-bit.

Also, Windows 7 is a much much better operating system than Windows Vista. I'd personally rather have Windows XP than Vista if I were given the choice. If you have 4GB of memory or less, then you will be hurting as it is slow and it is a memory hog. Also another reason to use a 64-bit OS as 32-bit is limited to 4GB total system memory (this not only includes your "normal" memory but also your video card's memory, among other things. You will most likely only be able to have about 3.25GB memory depending on your components).

And when you say "clean install" that means you will have to reinstall absolutely everything. This definitely includes your drivers. It is impossible to install a 32-bit OS over a 64-bit OS so you will either have to delete(or wipe. This can be done from the installation screen) everything on the hard drive or create a new partition.

Also, I don't recommend using the CD drivers. Try to get the latest ones straight from the manufacturers website. The CD's might not have Windows Vista/7 drivers.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, why? Windows 7 will be out in two weeks. If you know someone who has an email address at an accredited US university, you can get it for like $30. (At that price, I'll probably even be buying a copy, and I run Macs.)
    Not sure about drivers, but you should be OK to leave your secondary hard drive alone. If it isn't too much of a chore, you might consider manually moving your files and reformatting anyways. It might not make a difference, but occasionally there are hidden files and such that are left behind by certain applications which sit around and take up space needlessly. On the off chance that you've got some sort of virus on the disk, manually moving the files might eliminate it (perhaps, if it isn't embedded in one of your MS Office documents or something - not to mention it's much more likely that any virus you would get would target your operating system files or an application.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Windows 7 came out officially last month. I've had it for almost a year now though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - that's right, it's November now, isn't it? I still get people calling me at work to ask when we'll be switching to Vista - most of the PCs I work on are still on XP, with a few of the really rusty ones actually on 98. The first thing we do is downgrade to XP anyways, but I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen any new machines come in with 7 on them.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO, I want to use Vista 32 or XP 32 (and I can't get XP32 anymore). I'm tired of having $1000 worth of music equipment I bought for my PC that I can't use because it's not "64 bit" compatible. And my vista laptop isn't fast enough to keep up with live high polyphony playing even on lowest settings with its RAM maxed out.

AFAIK I have no viruses this whole procedure is just so I can start to use my equipment I bought over a year ago and been struggling to use ever since. I have heard W7 will have hardware issues and that's what I'm already trying to resolve don't wanna go from one dead end to another. I know, that's the nature of the software/hardware game but I'm trying to get the jump on the ********, for a little while at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What music equipment? I am pretty sure if they are a reputable company, they probably have drivers out for 64-bit Windows by now (minus XP).

Also, where did you hear that Windows 7 has hardware issues from? Do you mean driver issues?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can kind of understand your reasoning. But on the other hand, Vista will quickly fall into disuse now that a new version is out, especially given its unsavory reputation. 7 will have issues, for sure, but Microsoft has already taken a spanking on Vista and I think this time around they may have actually learned something about the importance of customer satisfaction.
    I think the real reason you should go for 7 instead is that Vista is a hog. If you're already having performance issues with Vista, that's a great reason to go for a more trim OS. 8 is in the works, but I think 7 will be around for a while so long as it doesn't prove to have any huge problems, so vendors will definitely be working to support it.
    7 works a lot like Vista, and I believe it even uses the same hardware management protocols, so anything you've got that the manufacturer supports in Vista should port over to 7 relatively quickly. I've been kind of apathetic to the whole situation, as it's pretty much only meant a big headache at work for me. My naive suspicion is that the central problem with Vista was that it was trying to be "everything to everyone." Microsoft made a bunch of overdue fixes to the various Windows standards, but decided to keep all the broken stuff as well so that programs and hardware based on the old standards would still work. The result was a big kludge where there was a half a dozen ways to do any particular thing and a ton of overhead to support it all.
    I haven't paid enough attention to 7 to know if that's not the case anymore. To me, reading Windows design documentation is like having an acid flashback, or watching the 700 Club.
    ~Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast