Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tissue Culture

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tissue Culture

I've been playing around with tissue culture for the last couple months. It's an interesting hobby, I really enjoy it. So far I have had little success with explants. Either I get contamination or I kill the tissue. I haven't found the happy medium between the two yet.

All these are grown from seed on 1/2 MS, no hormones.

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

S. purpurea

D. regia

For fun, Siam Ruby banana meristem (1/2 MS, 5mL/BAP per liter) This media didn't gel properly due to the hormones. When using hormones, use more agar!

My setup, I've been at it for awhile. These are from all different dates. Not a whole lot is happening yet.

Anyone whom is interested in TC, read. Read any and all information that you can find. Some of the information will be good, some won't. Due to bad information, the first two batches of media that I made failed completely because it didn't gel correctly. Some things will work well for you while others will not. Also, start with seed. There's nothing more disappointing than doing all the work, waiting a week to three and start to see contamination.

The next experiment in getting explants to work is starting the leaf cuttings in distilled water (Pinguicula and Drosera in particular) and using the material that sprouts off of it. In theory this should be cleaner than using a leaf right off the plant. Only time will tell. I have some plantlets forming from roots in bags with moist Sphagnum. I'm in the process of trying this.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray! That's very encouraging. I've been sweet talking some of the bio professors around my campus lately - I'm hoping that I can sit in on some TC labs if I play my cards right. Best luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Crystal! Now I remember you saying some time ago that you will try TC, but I see you really got started big:-) I totally agree with what you say about starting TC. I started with leaf explants myself, what made the beginning even more disappointing, since the seeds are much easier to put to work on TC. But the spirit is not to give up on the very first failure. Patience and knowledge is the key.Now I think I got the hang of it at least as far as sundews are in play. It is really trial-error approach that works here. Each species needs slightly different media and sterilization protocol, what might work for some will kill other. It is very interesting and I am glad you enjoy experimenting with this! Good luck and I wish you lots of success! Please, let me draw your attention to this new website my friend designed purely for CP-TC experiments. He got it up and running just recently, so there is not a whole lot of info right now, but later it will be a great help for TC enthusiasts: http://www.labflytrap.com/forum/index.php enjoy! :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding, you're looking very professional there Crystal...

Back in the 70's when i was just a wee bit on the wild side I did a little TC'n.
    However, my focus was more fungal in nature..

Go ask Alice,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /\ lol!!

But looking good Crystal! I've been meaning to bug you for an update but those seedlings are looking mighty fine!
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe: I would certainly try to sweet talk those professors. That would be a great resource to have. Those are resources that I don't have unfortunately. Thanks and good luck to you as well!

klasac: Thank you! Yes, I'm serious about getting it to work. I think I've made it through the most discouraging stuff. I have some stuff growing now, so I'm hooked! I tried to start with explants too. None of them made it. I'm still experimenting with it. So far all I've been able to grow from tissue is U. bilboa from stolon cuttings (and the bananas go figure). It's better than nothing though! I agree, patience and knowledge are the major keys in having success. I went through 3-4 batches before I finally got it right. There's so much stuff that's not mentioned in literature that you just have to figure out for yourself. It really is trial-error which I can see putting a lot of people off on the first couple of tries. Thank you! I wish you the best of luck as well. Thanks for the link! I actually just emailed Michal about some of his plants he has in TC. I was a little disappointed to find out he uses seeds. I was hoping for some tips on getting explants into TC. Are you still experimenting with it? Also, do you happen to know a good time frame to move seedlings into media with hormones to increase multiplication?

Av:
    When men on the chessboard
    Get up and tell you where to go
    And you've just had some kind of mushroom
    And your mind is moving slow
    Go ask Alice
    I think she'll know

JP: Thanks! I'm still at it. I've come a long way in the past couple of months. It's okay, as you can see I'm not around on facebook very much. I'm lucky if I log in once a week LOL. FB just isn't my thing .
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome setup. You and I have the same grow rack. Of course, mine's down in the basement in pieces and unused at the moment, but when I'm able to get everything back together I'll probably try TC as well.

Congrats on your strikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veronis: Thanks! Yes, I'm using the popular Lowes rack that used to be cheap. They aren't too cheap anymore if you don't catch them on sale. You should get yours back together and put it to use! Racks don't stay empty long around here . You should try TC. It's a very fun hobby.
    --Godsmack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast