What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farmers Markets ?

• Thread starter droseraguy
  • Start date

droseraguy

Illinois
Anyone have experience selling plants at their local farmers market. Was it worth it ? As far as I can tell there is no one local other than myself with an interest. Maybe a group could be formed as a result ? Just wondering what your experiences might be .

A 'certain' nursery started out this way. PM me and I'll let you know who it was, maybe they can give you some pointers.

This is a great idea

I think it depends on the market you go to. I can think of a number of folks who've had good success with farmers' markets. Around here I haven't made out too well - the biggest market in my town doesn't allow new vendors to carry competing products, and since there's some guy that puts D. capensis and unidentified Sarr hybrids in pretty ceramic pots they won't accept my application. At the other two local places, there's a pretty big entrance fee (one is more than $1000, I think) and they also take a large cut off the top (15%?) and make you commit contractually to be there every day that they're open for a whole season, or they give your spot away permanently. That said, there's a bit of a good-ol'-boys attitude around here. If I had a larger and more reliable vehicle, I could go work some of the county farmers' markets out in the boonies, where it's much more relaxed. For the time being I set up a table at my school during special events and such, which is pretty reasonably priced. I'll definitely be looking into getting into a bigger venue though, because I could definitely do better business if my customers weren't mostly poor college students. :)
~Joe

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll have to look into the rules and fees. Around here it's mostly veggies with some cut flowers and perrenials thrown in. Not a really big crowd though.

what i would prolly do if the rules and fees are within your reach(ours is free and only rule is dont be selling "garage sale" type stuff......veggies, baked goods, handmade stuff and plants are all fine) put a small ad in your local paper or trader saying you will be selling carnivorous plants there the up coming weekend....that will prolly help draw some crowd specifically to you that might not otherwise come to the market....if yah want to know how well your "advertising dollars" worked over just the regular crowd you can put a line in like "$1 off if you bring this ad".....

I have done it and do it. It works out okay. I wholesale buy plants from Deroose in the hanging baskets to take because they are eye catching and are an impulse buy. That's the thing, most people who go to a Farmer's Market are there to buy vegetables and things, not expensive plants. I did have a few people who were addicted and would come back to my table week after week to see if I had anything new. Every once in a while I would divide some sars or something and take them. Most people don't know anything about these plants, though, and think the cost is too high for a plant. They don't know what they are. Some days I would make okay, but others I wouldn't even make the booth fee.

OK, S. Oregon is boring as H E double hockey sticks when it comes to CP's. There is a guy who makes his living selling them at the three local markets, and I can't fathom how. He has three fairly large greenhouses and just keeps at it. If it can be done here, it can be done anywhere. I was walking past a neighbor's house who has orchids in his window and spotted two Nepenthes. I bet I know who he bought them from! ;)

Back