Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: xp install crashes on

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a P5K. The only thing that was tricky was that I had to load the JMicron controller drivers so XP could recognize the Ultra DMA DVD-RW drive. I've since dumped the drive for a SATA DVD-RW so I disabled the JMicron controller completely.

There should be a utility to create a driver disk on the motherboard installation disk. Check to see if there is are later version on the Asus website though. If you need the controller or RAID you need a driver disk and press F6 I think it is at the appropriate time during the XP install.

There's a way to slipstream the drivers into a custom made XP installation CD. Google "slipstream XP drivers"

And if you partitioned your hard drive make sure the partition you are installing XP on is formatted.

Joe: comserf (or however was spelled) was a low level formatting utility to prepare hard drives for Novell's proprietary disk format. This was back in the late 80s early 90s. It was a very demanding format but one of the reasons why you'd find Novell servers that had been running 700+ days straight without reboots.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use english NAN! When you think of me and computers think in the simplest terms possible. I sometimes hide behind my desk chair and poke at it with a stick!

Like I said, I do not have RAID controller that I know of. I do have SATA hard drives, however I did not have to do anything extra to get it running when I did a clean install last summer. It did not require extra drivers that time, I just put in my XP64 disk and simply followed the steps in this link you gave me at the time:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...stxpclean1.htm

According to step 3 of that link you only need to F6 and do the extra driver if you are using XP SP1. And that's way at the begining of the setup.

I get all the way through the DOS setup, 2 hours of drive partition formatting and the initialization of windows and then it crashes on finalizing windows setup.

Reinstalling XP64 today or at least giving it a try! lol

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you didn't need drivers last time, explore all the possibilities.
    I liken my general experience with getting Microsoft products to work with the Chronicles of Narnia. The pathway to Narnia never opens twice; it'll be somewhere else each new time you go looking for it. The same is true of Microsoft how-to's. (Especially when it comes to MS Office.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, from way back when I was in college, the term RAID stands for a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. And I don't think having just two hard drives is enough to call a number of hard drives a RAID. Of course, I am not an expert; although I do have a degree in Information Technology... I just feel lucky that I can keep my computer and my family's/friend's computers working properly. I wish I could be of more assistance. The only way I can help most people is if I am at their house, sitting at their computer. I wish you the best of luck trying to install Windows, swords.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the 3rd or 4th attempt to get the 64 version back online, I saw raid drivers geing installed as the boot was on it's way to the format harddrive step of he reinstall.

The ebay seller said to call them 9-5 business hours so maybe they can tell me something. Perhaps I have to mess about in BIOS to make sure the machine knows I want to make it do 32 bit?

One consolation is that to build a similar beefy quad core system with new Intel bits and have it delivered to my house with XP32 bit is only 1/3 the price of this one built in 06 or early 07.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true RAID can use as little as two disks - either both disks contain the same data, so that if one fails you can still read the other one, or both disks are joined together so that you effectively have one disk that has the sum capacity of the two drives. You don't get the really nice benefits until you have three or more drives, though. Many RAID controllers can still operate a single disk in a non-RAID context, though - a number of the Gateways I service at work need RAID drivers, even though they have just one disk.
    So do you ever see a BSOD when these installs fail, swords? That the machine is just flat out restarting sounds suspicious. You might be on to something with the idea of a BIOS setting. Have you done any research on doing a 32-bit downgrade with your motherboard/processor/drive controller(s)?
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No BSOD. What happens is the partition and formating program will start as usual and then the machine just shuts off whenever it feels like it, sometimes even before the reformatting begins. It doesn't shut down at one given point in any one attempt. So it's actually not just in the device installer, that's just where it happened to do it the first time last night. This last time I only made it through the 2 hr reformating the partition and it got to about 60% of copying the files for windows then it shut off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird...
    I'm a little stumped. Have you changed the hardware setup since your last successful OS install? Almost sounds like you've got a bad connection somewhere, or a heat problem. Are the fans straining? (Assuming they're variable-speed fans.) Does it have irregular delays at startup? Do you have another hard drive you could swap in?
    ~Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast