Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: xp install crashes on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fans run from the time I turn it on until it turns itself off, I pulled off the side case last night to watch all the inner workings... maybe the gerbil 2.0 is dead!

The case is dusty but I never had it shut off recently until I started this project. Does reformatting and installing the OS tax everything make it run warmer than usual? It would be sweet if just blasting it out does the trick! I blew as hard as I could but it's not a steady 80psi. I will check all the interior connections and try blasting out the case tomorrow with my monstrously loud air compressor when the downstairs neighbors leave or at least are up and about.

I hope it works, my neck really hurts using this laptop. ugh! How do people use these things all the time.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's trying to zero out the hard drive during the reformat by writing over the entire thing, that might lead to some unusual stresses in the drive itself. But generally, installers are very computationally-light processes.
    As for the comfort of laptops, I'd tend to agree with you. One thing I've noticed recently is that most of my peers at school that use them seem to have a serious slouch. (At work I sit next to a guy three or four inches taller than me, but he keeps his monitor as low as possible where I have mine set as high as the stand allows.) Hard to tell which came first though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, several thoughts. It sounds like a hardware problem but not necessarily so.

It could be the power supply is flaking out. Or the hard drive. Or the DVD/CD drive. Or the installation CD is bad/corrupted.

Blow out the dust. With the AC power cable unplugged, re-seat the power connectors to the motherboard (disconnect, and reconnect - clean with air if you wish - recommended).

In the BIOS settings enable S.M.A.R.T. HDD monitoring. Since you are not using RAID make sure it is disabled in BIOS.

Check the install CD. If you have Nero CD/DVD burning software there is a disc scan function in the Nero CD-DVD Speed utility to see if the disc is readable. If you don't have that you can download the free version of ISO-Buster or just copy the entire disc to your laptop. Read errors will become apparent if they exist (although it could be the drive on your desktop).

It could be the XP installation is not detecting power management properly and the system is shutting down because of this. When you first boot from the install CD you'll see an option on the bottom of the screen to press F6 to install third party drivers. Press F5 instead and this should give you the Hardware Abstraction Layer menu choices - you want either ACPI multiprocessor or Advanced Configuration and ACPI computer for your motherboard.

Other recommended actions for problem installs are to clear the CMOS on the motherboard (see the user manual for the motherboard) or install with only one stick of RAM (don't ask me why).

Before resetting the CMOS I would backup the settings using the BIOS Tools options and write down any of the CPU and memory voltage and timing settings.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, this is becoming quite educational for me. Thanks NaN! (Sorry it had to come at the price of your time and frustration, swords.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All it needed was a good interior dusting! Who knew it was all THAT important?

Whew - I didn't really wanna buy a new machine!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123