Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xp install crashes on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xp install crashes on

So I formatted the harddrive and the install program crashes at the "install devices" screen during the setup procedure. I've unplugged everything but the keyboard, mouse and monitor. I wouldn't think the headphones being plugged in would have made it crash?

Trying a second shot takes 2 hrs to format 500 Gs!'

I saw that my disk is not a retail version either but a liscenced copy for distribution with a new PC copy "OEM" BS. I have contacted the seller already.

Is it possible the quad core processor and an extreme SLI motherboard is too powerful for XP sp3?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What devices do you have on the motherboard? If you have RAID you need to install additional drivers. During the install there is a message to press a function key if you need to do this. You need some sort of removable media with the drivers on it (floppy, CD, flashdrive etc.)

What motherboard - make and model - do you have?

Ha - two hours is nothing. I remember it taking two or three days to "comserf" a 40 megabyte drive to install Netware on it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAID is two drives running in tandem isn't it? I have one for the OS and programs and the other is just storage. So as far as I know I have no raid system.

I clean installed XP 64 from the disk that came with my PC just fine a few months ago. I installed my video driver and motherboard disks after installing windows last time.

Motherboard: P5N-E SLI ASUS Graphic intergrated motherboard
    Video card: Nvidia 8800
    4 GB Ram
    Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh! Sorry to hear about your troubles man. I think NaN is right - may be a driver issue. I'd definitely get on that seller's case, and maybe contact eBay and PayPal as well. Didn't you say this seller has feedback in the tens of thousands? That's enough to make for a juicy piracy lawsuit - if they give you the runaround, you might mention tipping off Microsoft. (They're probably got bigger fish to fry, but who knows - maybe you'll catch them on a day when their lawyers are bored.) Kind of a ******* move, but so is selling pirated software to unsuspecting users.
    What's "comserf?" Is that like not using water during a drought? :D
    ~Joe

PS - RAID lets you use multiple physical drives as a single "disk," so far as your computer can tell. But even if you have your two drives working independently, you may have them connected to the motherboard via a RAID hard drive controller (IIRC.) In which case, you'd need RAID drivers, even if you don't make use of the special features RAID configurations offer. As for how you set it up before - sounds suspicious. Makes me wonder if the disk you have might be a distribution with special hardware-specific software parts that don't play nice with your machine.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's not a blank disk or something, it came shrinkwrapped over a 6" x 9" Microsoft booklet that has a sticker that says:
    "This OEM software is to be delivered with a new PC" which is the same thing mine says for XP64 but that one works. But this definately isn't a retail version.

Do you think if I ordered it from Amazon warehouses (not 3rd party seller) it would be official and work? I hate to have a whole new system built just to get the XP32 bit OS!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not super familiar with different Windows distributions. I'm not certain, but I do believe that Microsoft makes OEM disks that are targeted for specific hardware. Even if it was brand new and in the same shrinkwrap it left the Microsoft plant in, it's possible that it just isn't compatible. Don't take my word for that, though.
    Ordering from Amazon depends. Isn't most of the stuff on Amazon not actually sold directly by them anymore? I thought they had become a sort of marketplace type venture. I would expect Amazon proper to be on the level, but I've definitely heard of some shady operators on their site as well.
    Are you certain that your hardware can run in 32-bit mode? At this hour my computer architecture classes seem very distant... I know it's theoretically possible to use the same processor for 32-bit and 64-bit bytecodes, but I haven't the slightest clue if manufacturers bother to support such a feat.
    Best luck - sorry to hear it's still giving you grief.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had the PC built he asked me what OS I wanted after I chose all the other hardware first and I said XP 64 cos it sounded good (not knowing it had the goofy installer issues) so I assume I could have had either one.

Reviews on amazon of this XP Home edition SP3 "System Builders edition" is that many people are buying it to overwrite Vista or run it paralel on a mac and they seem to get along OK with it. The actual official retail version is XP Home Edition SP2... aparently!

But that entry XP Home Edition SP2 is sold as fullfilment by Amazon meaning shipped from their actual warehouses.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind.../dp/B00022PTRU

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Here is a link to the stage at which the install quits:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...xpclean2_6.htm

The second attempt just crashed (the PC just turns off) so obviously it's a no go. I'm just curious if it's a hardware conflict with the software or just this disk. I don't wanna spend another few hundred to get the same thing happening.

reformatting again with the 64 disk just crashed now, ugh! it really is Friday the 13th! lol

(or was when I began this journey!)

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Crashed on attempted reformat clean install of 64 bit again... I think I'll give up for tonight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solution is simple:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

LOL
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast