Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan + water=cooling?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60*F seemed fine for most of my highlanders in summer. The N. aristolochioides was the one which I remember did not like July & August at all. Not pitchering those months and the oldest pitchers dying far sooner than they should. On the hottest nights I couldn't get down to 50*F even with the AC. But I always went for as cold as I could get so the plants were really acclimated to those temps, even down to 40*F on mid-winter nights. Had I started them with warmer temps perhaps they would have done fine with 60*F year round as long as there was ample air flow, humidity and daytime temps don't go over 85*F. However I have no experience growing them that warm for any length of time other than those few months in summer.

I really doubt Joe lives in a 50*F meat locker (or does he?!) so he must have some info on how warm they'll take if he can grow them in da house!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Joe, you keep your house 50*F at night!? Staying at your house would be like camping! lol

I'll try and whip up a new diagram for highlanders that should be more informative than my photo, I doubt I'll be able to find the old one.
    During the winter, unless I'm sick, I keep the heaters in my bedroom about as low as they can go without frost/condensation forming on the windows. During the day I'll usually turn them up a little bit to help lower the humidity and freshen the air (the windows are always cracked, but when it gets really cold I can't air the place out as much because the outdoor air is so saturated in these parts.) I'm not sure if it gets down to 50, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was there or lower occasionally. I keep my office around 68-70 (lowlanders in there,) and the common area of the house at about 60 (unless the woodstove is burning, then I can't get it much lower than 80,) and my bedroom is always significantly colder. Keeping my bedroom cold helps me to not wake up repeatedly during the night. I'll have to get a second high/low thermometer and monitor it this year.
    I like the cold. When I was younger, I would walk to the schoolbus at like 6AM in shorts and a T-shirt, in Fall/Winter Portland weather - temps just a few degrees above freezing, nearly 100% humidity, and light rain. I would be so warm by the time I made it to the bus stop that I would have to take my backpack off just to get some extra air, and my scalp/palms/chest/shoulders would steam vigorously. (When I used to play Dance Dance Revolution with my friends in high school, they called it my "dance energy.") To this day, when I do enough exercise to begin raising my heart rate, my surface body temperature goes through the roof - the heat from my palms can be felt from several inches away. :D
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah another hot blood. I'm like that too but since I live on the second floor I can turn off my heat and still have the condo be 65*F+ from the people downstairs unless I open a window and put a fan in it. I always have to have a fan going but rarely open the windows once it gets down to frost level. I'm always afraid the windows might crack, they're freakin expensive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, that is one thing I miss about my noisy old apartment. Third-story full-sun balcony, vaulted ceilings and an old lady downstairs that kept her place at 75 degrees year-round. Got kind of hard to take in the summer though - the vaulted ceilings were under the western side of the roof, and with our long summer days the place would just bake.
    I think I kind of broke my tolerance for cold when working at a grocery store in high school. There was a walled-in concrete loading dock that would get to like 105 in the summer, and I would be unloading pallets of frozen and perishable food to the fridges and freezers, in a heavy knit cotton work shirt. My nerves seem permanently traumatized - ever since then, I sweat when I get cold.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is my temp situation exactly! lol

15 foot vaulted roofs on the western side and a family with radiant floor heating downstairs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radiant floor heating? Fancy. I wouldn't mind some of that for my house.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    So would 60F be low enough to grow one of these or would 50F be more ideal?
    Highlander, get it . . . Highlander . . . Aye McCloud

I kinda liked the Kurgan myself:

Now back to our regular television program . . .

E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to try and use my basement to keep highlanders. There is a small window I could attach a vent to and bring in cold air and let out warm air. Also the entire spot is made of stone that makes my feet numb in winter and fall. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get it into the 50's for most of the year. I only worry about July, June, and August when the temps seem to stay in the 70's at night. I was thinking a fogger and fan could help push the temps into the upper 60's. Any ideas how to cool it more? (without some complex array of tubes and fans? XD)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast