What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats In Your Medicine Cabinet?

Hiya Fellow CP'ers-

Not sure if this question has been asked yet (if it has, my apologies).

But could everyone whos in the know,please list what kinds of fugicides, bug killers, snake oils, witches brew, grandma's secret sauce etc. that they have to used on their CP's in the case of illness, disease, attack of the killer bugs, loss of hair, etc. and has been successful.

Please be specific on the name of the cure/item, what was it treating or killing and what type of CP, so that we all can arm ourselves ahead of time and be prepard and not be caught off guard and lose our lovely meany greenies.

Thanks to all who contribute, cause you might be saving a life :-D

E

Ive used a variety of things.....
Ortho orthenex aerosal spray can
Ortho orthenex concentrate
Merit Rose and Flower spray
Neem Oil of various brands....

i would recommend ortho and neem for neps, neem for sarrs, and a dunk in water for the drosera for a couple of days lol.

You can recommend Orthenex it but it is no longer available except for existing stock on shelves. Same with most of the Orthene products.

It looks like organophosphate based pesticides are on the way out.

So basically you're left with imidacloprid and pyrethrim like pesticides.

Really? didnt know this D:
sad sad days >_<

You can recommend Orthenex it but it is no longer available except for existing stock on shelves. Same with most of the Orthene products.

It looks like organophosphate based pesticides are on the way out.

So basically you're left with imidacloprid and pyrethrim like pesticides.

Since my cabinet is basically empty, should we stock up on Orthenex or are there better recommendations????

E

You can use rubbing alcohol as a contact kill spray. It won't kill eggs but you can get the existing critters and it's easy on the plants. I've used it to drive bugs away from everything except Stapelias, which mealies seem to be addicted to like junkies. They'll put up with almost any bug spray if there's a chance they can get some sweet Asclepiad blood. I think it must also bestow upon them super powers to resist bug sprays... :censor:

Hiya Swords-

Just straight rubbing alcohol, no dilution? Will it work as an insecticde on all CP's?

Inquiring minds want to know =)

E

Here's what I've got in mine:

Neem oil
Sulfur based powder fungicide
Some other fungicide (Cant use it on Drosera or Pings)
Rubbing alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide
2 Ton Nuclear warhead :-D

As for the rubbing alcohol, I've done both diluted and non diluted. Dries pretty quick either way. I've only used it on Neps and Sarrs.

i actually find that a 3 ton nuke works better :)

Here's what I've got in mine:

Neem oil
Sulfur based powder fungicide
Some other fungicide (Cant use it on Drosera or Pings)
Rubbing alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide
2 Ton Nuclear warhead :-D

As for the rubbing alcohol, I've done both diluted and non diluted. Dries pretty quick either way. I've only used it on Neps and Sarrs.

Thanks for chiming in their FReNcH3 :boogie:

But could you tell us what each of your products are used for and specifically for what plants.

We'd all hate it if we used something that killed more than the bugs or fungus :-(

E

Yeah, I just use the Isopropyl Alcohol undiluted. It's quite safe, whereas the "safe" Pyrethin I used on one of my Neps had melted my U. alpina which was next to it and got just a little over spray.

If you want to attempt to make a little longer lasting alcohol solution you can add other stuff to the alcohol like dish soap or let some cigarette butts float in it and turn the alcohol dark, bugs don't like the nicotine or the soap.

Thanks for chiming in their FReNcH3 :boogie:

But could you tell us what each of your products are used for and specifically for what plants.

We'd all hate it if we used something that killed more than the bugs or fungus :-(

E

Neem - used on everything, against mites, springtails, fungus you name it, it's been hit by it

The other fungicide is Consan20 - I use this on Sarrs and Neps, seed to adult works VERY well for me

Rubbing alcohol - have used it on fungus

Hydrogen peroxide - have used it on fungus

Sulfur based fungicide - used as a preventative in all soil mixes and in medium for fridge dormancy

I use most of these in conjunction to one another; like for example I treat my dormancy medium with both the neem and the sulfur based fungicide. For powdery mildew I'll use rubbing alcohol + neem + hydrogen peroxide.
None of these combined have ever had ill effects on my plants.

The only side effect has been with sundews and Pings, they DO NOT appreciate the consan 20.

- Ortho Systemic Insect Killer - kills everything (including mites). Have used on Sarracenia (no impact on growth), Cephalotus (no impact on growth) and Drosera (major impact - either weakened or killed plants). This is apparently being phased out due to its toxicity to people, animals. Have not been able to locate any on shelves recently. However, related products by Ortho (& others) with the same active are still available. (active = acephate)

- Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer - kills most pests (not mites). Have used on Sarracenia (no impact on growth), Cephalotus (no impact on growth) and Drosera (minor to no impact on growth) (active = imidacloprid).

- CO2 - should kill most pests - proven to work on centipedes & aphids. Apparently may not be effective on mites.

- Green Light Neem Concentrate - recently purchased some based on all the positive comments in the forums. Have not used yet.

Back