User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the crackling noise in my PC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea.

Do any of your neighbors have a strong CB radio or some other antenna-type thingamajiggy? We had neighbors on the other end of the block that would mess with the TV reception at odd hours each day.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the neighborhood rules on the other side of the forest but nobody can stick up their own antennas or anything on this building (which sucks cos I'd like satellite TV - cheaper than cable).

Provided it's something like a stray frequency, can I buy a shielded blanket for the PC or as seedjar said, make a DIY faraday cage to zap that frequency outta the air and keep it from wonking up my soundcard?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget your foil skullcap to keep the flying triangles from using mind control
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be a block or more away. You live near a police station?
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure of those shielded blankets you mentioned, but building a faraday cage isn't too expensive. I'm not sure I'd bother trying if I hadn't identified the source of the interference and knew it would help. But I guess if you build the cage and it doesn't work, you could always use it to jam any bugs in your apartment. And interfere with your neighbors' cordless phones.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if a computer fix it place could run some sort of diagnostic and find out what the crackle is? Is there any way to pin point it without just randomly replacing stuff? I still think it's the CPU cos when I click on stuff and a program is opening that's when it get the most crackle, still under -24db just barely audible, but when you're trying to record music you don't want any crackle even barely audible. Thing is I get the crackle all the time, on you tube, in photoshop, etc.

My recording input levels aren't too high cos if I crank up the input the crackle gets louder. I can make an entire song of just crackle by hitting record multiple times. The only way I can get rid of the input noise is to unplug from the sound card but of course then I can't record any audio...

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Hey hey hey! It's Phat Albert!

I went and bought an expensive 35 mm to 35mm cord at the music shop today and most of the static is gone! Who'da thought? Actually, I was hoping but didn't actually believe it would work with such a simple $9 solution. There's still a very minute fraction of crackle showing up on the input level but it's not recording at a human audible level for the moment and no where near the -24db with the other cord. Yay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My computer buzzes loads, I think its just because my computer is old and worn out.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you found a solution. If you want to further eliminate the noise, try to keep your cable away from data signals (your monitor/network/USB cords.)
    I wouldn't take it to a computer shop, unless you can manage to find a shop that specializes in digital audio equipment. Your average computer retailer will keep it in their shop for a week or so without figuring out anything, and return it to you with a $300+ bill and possibly in worse condition than you dropped it off in.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast