Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to: Fridge Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to: Fridge Dormancy

There's been a lot of questions regarding fridge dormancy for those of us that do not have access to a garage or shed and live in zones not fit for outside dormancy.

There are different methods, this is simply mine. I have had tremendous success using it and hope that those of you that chose to use it do as well.

Please feel free to comment and ask questions!

Required items:

Individually Labeled Ziplock bags
    Empty clean bucket
    Sphagnum moss
    Consan 20
    Neem oil
    Sulfur based Fungicide
    Clean RO/DI or rain water
    Trash bag
    Scissors
    Spray bottles
    Fridge

1) Fill bucket halfway with water (approximately 1 gallon)
    2) Add 2 cups of sulfur based fungicide
    3) Add 4 - 5 tablespoons of Neem oil
    4) Add bale of sphagnum peat moss to the mix and hand mix thoroughly

5) Select your plant (make sure pre-dormancy has properly occured in your location i.e. slow to stopped growth and natural pitcher death due to change of seasons. Usually occurs after night time temperatures drop below freezing a couple times.)

6) Carefully dig up the plant entirely, making sure to get as much root system as possible.

7) Trim dead/ discolored pitchers and any trapped prey from the plant by cutting below the pit line of the trap. Be sure to leave phyllodia on the plant.

8) Grab a handful of the soaking sphagnum moss and wring out excess water. The media should be moist, not wet. Place into ziplock bag than place roots of the plant into the sphagnum.

9) Spray all of the plant and media with neem oil and consan20 generously.

10) Place in fridge for ~ 3 months or until night time spring temperatures continuously stay above freezing.

11) MOST IMPORTANTLY: Check regularly on the plants at least monthly by inspecting the rhizome and leaves for mold or other infestations. Re-apply neem and/or consan20 as needed.
    Rubbing alchohol and Hydrogen Peroxide are also acceptable but do not work as well as fungicides IMO. Application to the leaves via Q-tip is acceptable and preferred as large amounts of alcohol can be fatal.

NOTE: DO NOT use Consan 20 on Drosera species!

Flash Forward 3 months, repot and divide as desired and watch for new growth! Do not trim phyllodia, however trim old pitcher stumps back if desired.

Last edited by F R e N c H 3 z; 10-10-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed broken picture links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice guide! I think I might use this for some of my plants, but only if my garage is too cold. Thanks for this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing this with my pitchers this year. What temps do yall usually keep them at or is above freezing good enough? I didn't mess with the settings....theyr'e just what i use to keep groceries fresh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyCspider View Post
    I'm doing this with my pitchers this year. What temps do yall usually keep them at or is above freezing good enough? I didn't mess with the settings....theyr'e just what i use to keep groceries fresh.
    Last I checked the temp in my fridge was around 40F / 5C. That is just the basic setting with the wheel turned on '6'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticky?

Very well done, Yann! My Sarracenia are just now going dormant, it's a little too mild at this time of the year.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Sticky?

Very well done, Yann! My Sarracenia are just now going dormant, it's a little too mild at this time of the year.
    Thanks Chris. Most of mine are just now ready to be unpotted, so far the weather here has been very mild as well for some reason.

I've only done half (the last picture), tomorrow will be the second half if I can find room in there! I'll add to the post if I catch anything I needed to cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good!
    I have one concern:

11) MOST IMPORTANTLY: Check regularly on the plants at least monthly by inspecting the rhizome and leaves for mold or other infestations. Re-apply neem and/or consan20 as needed.
    Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide are also acceptable.
    Alcohol??!
    that seems highly toxic and dangerous!...to the plant!
    alcohol is a poison..I would not recommend spraying alcohol on plants! ever..

If it were my demo, I would say:

Of slight importance, if you dont get to it, not a big deal:
    Check on the plants by inspecting the rhizome and leaves for mold or other infestations.
    but if you dont check for mold at all, all winter, not a big deal really..
    dont really need any fungicide at all...dont use alcohol!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    looks good!
    I have one concern:

Alcohol??!
    that seems highly toxic and dangerous!...to the plant!
    alcohol is a poison..I would not recommend spraying alcohol on plants! ever..

If it were my demo, I would say:

Of slight importance, if you dont get to it, not a big deal:
    Check on the plants by inspecting the rhizome and leaves for mold or other infestations.
    but if you dont check for mold at all, all winter, not a big deal really..
    dont really need any fungicide at all...dont use alcohol!

Scot

Ahh yes I probably should have clarified lol

RUBBING alchohol also known as isopropyl alcohol (70%).
    I've use it a few times when the neem and consan wouldnt do the trick. It dries quickly in open air after it's been sprayed and seems to do a decent job at getting rid of most fungi for a short period of time. As far as it being toxic, I dont think I've ever used enough of it to kill a plant. I apply either using a Q-tip or the spray method.
    It ranks 3rd in my book behind neem and consan20.

As for checking on mold, I've found it to be detrimental IMO. Catching early symptoms before it becomes an outbreak has been the easiest way to not loose any plants at all. Due to all the rotting corpses there's a great fauna I imagine living in some of the leaves and boy does mold love spreading when it gets a chance. I've also found that infected rhizomes/plants have great trouble getting back into the swing of things in the spring rather than concentrate on growth and flowering. Though they have to manage the natural fauna of bacteria in the bog, having to deal with a severe infection that could have been detected during dormancy is much more difficult.

But like I mentioned in the beginning: There's many different methods! This one just happens to work well for me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast