What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics from back-country canoe trip - Okefenokee / Everglades

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
My trip was 11/12 - 11/26

Nov 13th Got to Okefenokee. Spent time at the Suwannee Canal Recreation Area. Hiked out to the look out tower.

Nov 14th Day paddle up Cedar Hammock trail - 7.2 miles. Left from Suwannee Canal Recreation Area.

Nov 15-16th Overnight trip to Bluff Lake Chickee on the Green Trail - 16 miles. Left from King Fisher landing.

Nov 17th Day paddle up to Minnies Lake - 10.1 miles. Left from Stephen C. Foster State Park.

Nov 18th arrived at the Everglades. Spent time at Royal Palm. Drove down to Flamingo and set up our canoe trip.

Nov 19th-22nd 3night / 4 day paddle - 30.6 miles. Paddled out to Hells Bay Chickee. Then to Roberts River and back to Hells Bay.

Nov 23rd Day paddle in the Florida Bay - 8.8 miles.

Nov 24th Day paddle up Flamingo Canal to Mud Lake out to Coot Bay and back down the Flamingo Canal - 10.9 miles.

Nov 25th Day paddle 9 Mile Pond - 5.9 miles.

Pic Link
If I set this up correctly you can see the pics here: (Looks like you need to be signed up on Facebook. Should be public for you to view.) 109 pictures, do not want to place them all here.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...ef=nf#/photo.php?pid=85405&id=100000293806357

Other reading about this 18 year dream or mine.

The 1st time I was in the Everglades, back in 1991, I was in love. All the wildlife & plants was an incredible site. I spent hours snapping pictures and hiking trails. I thought it would be an awesome experience to canoe there sometime.

Then I was able to return in 1997 for a few hours before catching a plane home. Again I thought canoeing the glades would be a great adventure.

I talk about every couple of years, but that's all it ever turns out to be.

In 2008 my wife tells me she will be taking a vacation in 2009 by herself. Her sister is having a 50th birthday party & will be flying my wife in for it in June. I kid around & mention that I should drive down to the Everglades. My wife, from hearing me say about wanting to paddle the Everglades for the past 12 years or so, says go for it. I start to think about it. Driving to the Everglades, canoeing, hiking and driving home.
Then an article I remembered reading popped into my head. It was about paddling the Okefenokee. Maybe I can get a few days there.

I originally thought about doing the trip when my wife was away. I start to think about the month of June. It's going to be hot and humid to be camping in Florida that time of year. Also I'd probably have to use all my vacation to do it.

I started to think of holidays during the year so I could get more time for this adventure. Thanksgiving came to mind, I also get black Friday off.

I was starting to do research on canoeing the Everglades. The best time to paddle the Everglades is during the dry season. There are fewer storms and bugs. The dry season is October - April. Boy November is really looking good now.

wow! So many pics don't know what to comment on! hhhhmmm, well those alligators or crocodiles loooked pretty cool, awsome lizards too. That one with the red thing is cool. nice redness in the minor, and great pics too! flamingos were awsome too! that's looks like and awsome trip. :-D

Amazing pictures of the plants and wildlife. But I have to ask, do you have a clue of what the heck the mushroom-like thing is before the flamingos? Is it a jellyfish?

Great photos!

i like the manatee!

Wow. You got some nice shots of some sarrs. But no utrics? :p

Holy crap. What do you do when you see a croc that size? What happens if it decides it doesn't like you there?

Thanks for the comment on the pics.

wow! So many pics don't know what to comment on! hhhhmmm, well those alligators or crocodiles loooked pretty cool, awsome lizards too. That one with the red thing is cool. nice redness in the minor, and great pics too! flamingos were awsome too! that's looks like and awsome trip. :-D
It was an awesome trip.
On the east side of the Okefenokee S. minor ruled. It was everywhere, in huge groups, regular, giant. It was neat to see the variations in the plants. Some of the plants had a brown color to them that was quite different.

Amazing pictures of the plants and wildlife. But I have to ask, do you have a clue of what the heck the mushroom-like thing is before the flamingos? Is it a jellyfish?
Yep. It was some kind of Jellyfish. There where lots of them in the Florida Bay.

Yup. Seems like I'm the last remaining person on earth who hasn't signed up ... :censor:
Loser.......................... :slap: :-)) Do not worry you will not look like a total loser, you would have 1 friend.... me.... Just been thinking of that... that would make you a bigger loser.

Wow. You got some nice shots of some sarrs. But no utrics? :p
I do have some pics of aquatic Utrics and a few flowers. Just did not post any.

Holy crap. What do you do when you see a croc that size? What happens if it decides it doesn't like you there?
What else, Grab the camera and take pictures.
Most the alligators and crocs shy away when you get too close. I was 15' from that guy standing in the canoe when I was taking the pictures. The wind was moving me closer to him and at about 10' he slowly backed himself up and leisurely swam away from me on top the water.

Great pictures; thanks for sharing!

Man, I wish I had the opportunity to do all these field trips!

Scott,
It's nice having a good wife that lets me do things like this. Not having kids makes it that much easier.

Just wondering where in Western NY are you? I'll be doing a hiking trip next year to Allegheny State Park just over the PA line around Salamanca, NY.
It's been a long time since we hung out.

I'm living in a small town called East Aurora. Salamanca is about an hour south of us, US 219. You're always welcome to visit.

Back