User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which forum read method do you WANT?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • The old (cookie/inactivity based) method

17 47.22%
  • The new (database/must view based) method

5 13.89%
  • I haven't a clue/don't care

14 38.89%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum read method...

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    I don't use the"today's post" function either, and since nothing else changed I fall under "I don't care".
    I'm not saying that "Today's Posts" page changed at all - for all I know it works identical to how it did before.
    What I'm trying to point out is that with five minutes of PHP tweaks we could have another option in the "Quick Links" menu that worked like the old "New Posts" list, without having to change back to the old cookie-based method, which (I think) would please everyone.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The change only affected the new posts screen by the way the software marks topics as viewed or not viewed. I thought we covered all this in the other topic...

Bottom line.
    Old method: cookie based... New topics are shown to you since you last visited. and will mark as old topics once you have viewed them. Once the session times out (set age for cookies to expire, in our case 30 mins) all threads will automatically mark as read whether you have viewed them or not.

New method: Database based... New topics are shown to you since you last visited, and will mark them as old topics once you have viewed them. Topics will stay as new unless you view them, use the "mark forum as read" link under quick links, or a set time to force them to expire is in use (currently 4 days, default is 10)

It is these changes that is making the New Posts screen look different. You get the "new topics but no new replies since your last visit" stuff because you are not marking the forum as read... So it is doing the job correctly by letting you know you STILL have not viewed those topics. I don't understand why it's so hard to just ignore that stuff if you're not interested in it, or once you view everything you want to- mark the forums read and that stuff will go away.

The way it is right now (database marking) makes sure people do not miss topics by the forum marking them as read too soon- mainly the people that don't visit too often. The old method marks the forum read for the people that don't do it themselves (use the mark as read link) and just want the topics they are not interested in to go away.

Guess I should have given another run down of this at the top of the vote thread.... :-\
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    Agreed. I go to "New posts" to see what's happened since the last time, not to see all the things I didn't read last time.
    lol. I agree. The "new posts" was the first (and only) link I pushed when logging in. If you visit frequently enough (once every day or two) there is never more than a page of posts. I have a feeling the "below the break" stuff would just pile up and I would never get around to reading them anyway.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I don't understand why it's so hard to just ignore that stuff if you're not interested in it, or once you view everything you want to- mark the forums read and that stuff will go away.
    My problem is the opposite of what you mention here. The new method doesn't list posts that I do want to see. The fact that it also shows a bunch of other stuff that I don't want to see is just rubbing salt in the wound.
    ~Joe

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's a thread you want to follow just subscribe to it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that I want to follow specific threads. I just want to see the ones that have been most recently posted to. I don't care if I've read them before, if I've read them since the last time there was a post to them, or what subforum they're in, and the "New Posts" list used to have exactly that. I realize I can find those posts other ways, but those other ways are much less convenient. While I'm grateful that it's here, free-of-charge, for my benefit, I'm not paid to participate here and I don't feel it's too much to ask to not have to jump through extra hoops to perform a simple task. Particularly when the only justifications to have things another way are that a few people think it makes more sense in the new way, or didn't use the old way and don't see how someone could've made use of it. What time I do have to spend on the forum I prefer to spend participating, and not navigating the subforums. This is a casual discussion forum, and I don't think it could really hurt that much to have a few slightly redundant features to accommodate the preferences of different users.
    At the risk of being catty, I would conjecture that this is the very same thing that's wrong with new releases of Microsoft Office. (I mention this because I deal with it just about daily at work.) It's fine to improve things, but taking features away from users or changing stuff around so much it disrupts their normal workflow is generally bad practice.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Voted "don't care." TF isn't so fast that I feel it necessary to use the new posts functions. I know which of the forums I'm interested in and if I check those once a week or so, it isn't too unmanageable. The rest is generally random viewing or my regular trawling of posts for rule breakers and spam.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also never used the new posts button. so i also voted dont care. it wont change anything for me. haha.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast