are you planning on heating it?
    if so..why?

Scot

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think somebody on my walk to work just put one of these up in their yard. Great deal - I wouldn't have thought you could get something like this for under $400. This gives me something to think about for my garden improvements next season. Are you going to put a foundation of some sort underneath? Best luck with it!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good start. btw the lady in the pic. on your link is deceptively small ! That's marketing !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Houseplants? in Kansas in the winter?
    im confused..
    are you planning on heating it?
    if so..why?

Scot
    Yes i am going to heat it .

why are you confused if the house plants an the ventrata make it then so will the rest of my plants . should be the end of your confusion .i am not going to throw all my plants in there an hope for the best . our Kansas winters are brutal. So i am trying to take my time an not kill all of my plants

Daren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You people don't know what brutal is. It got down into the mid 40's here the other night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CN View Post
    Yes i am going to heat it .

why are you confused if the house plants an the ventrata make it then so will the rest of my plants . should be the end of your confusion .i am not going to throw all my plants in there an hope for the best . our Kansas winters are brutal. So i am trying to take my time an not kill all of my plants

Daren
    interesting..
    have you considered that it will cost multi-hundreds of dollars a month to heat it?
    I wouldnt be surprised if it costs $500 to $1,000 a month..

IMO, greenhouses really cant be used in the winter in our climate..thats why you rarely see them..they can be useful in the early spring and the late fall..they can extend the growing season by a few weeks in either direction..but they cant be realistically heated October-March...heat would have to be on 24-7 to maintain 70 degrees when its 10 degrees outside....and the heat leaks right out very quickly..no insulation..very very expensive..

just curious, what are you planning to use for heat?
    I hope it works for you!
    it would be cool if it did..
    but im seriously doubtful that its realistic..

sure, techincally its possible..as long as you dont mind paying huge amounts of money for heat! IMO its far easier, and cheaper, to remove the plants from the greenhouse in September, bring them indoors, and let the furnace keep them warm..since you already use the furnace anyway to keep yourself warm..and there is a reason why houses are heavily insulated and dont have glass ceilings..

Im not trying to be "mean" or anything!
    its just physics..you cant fight physics..

Scot

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I honestly dont know how much it costs!
    I have never tried it..so out of curiosity, I googled it:
    I found this:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...814009742.html

$70-$80 a month..thats not too bad I suppose..
    BUT! thats keeping the greehouse only at 50 degrees, and "average January temperature of 28.4 degrees"..the guy who posted that thread "Orchid Dude", lives in Alabama..
    So keeping a greenhouse at 50 degrees in the winter, in alabama, costs $80 a month.
    (he goes on to say he can maybe get it down to $55 a month..but thats just a rough estimate, and the calculations assume a 100% efficient heat source, which doesnt exist..)

No matter how you crunch the numbers, I doubt you can do it for under $200 a month in Kansas..Not in Zones 6 or 7..its just way too cold outside..and not if you need it that warm..
    I would plan on $300 to $500 a month for January and February..

here is a calculator:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/heat-calc.shtml

Scot

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    interesting..
    have you considered that it will cost multi-hundreds of dollars a month to heat it?
    I wouldnt be surprised if it costs $500 to $1,000 a month..

IMO, greenhouses really cant be used in the winter in our climate..thats why you rarely see them..they can be useful in the early spring and the late fall..they can extend the growing season by a few weeks in either direction..but they cant be realistically heated October-March...heat would have to be on 24-7 to maintain 70 degrees when its 10 degrees outside....and the heat leaks right out very quickly..no insulation..very very expensive..

just curious, what are you planning to use for heat?
    I hope it works for you!
    it would be cool if it did..
    but im seriously doubtful that its realistic..

sure, techincally its possible..as long as you dont mind paying huge amounts of money for heat! IMO its far easier, and cheaper, to remove the plants from the greenhouse in September, bring them indoors, and let the furnace keep them warm..since you already use the furnace anyway to keep yourself warm..and there is a reason why houses are heavily insulated and dont have glass ceilings..

Im not trying to be "mean" or anything!
    its just physics..you cant fight physics..

Scot

Scott ,
    I don't Think You are being mean in the slightest . This Is why I post here For the general concern for others an their plants , as you have just shown . Thank You .
    Now my plants are in a Unheated One car Garage as of Now , I do already heat this garage as well as Lighting so My Light bill is already about $350 a month , this GH will be blocked by the North wind an helped a lil bit by the Sun . Now as A long time Hunter I took a few things to thought this would be the way a deer in the wild would use the South facing Hill sides to block the wind as well as using the Sun to aid in some warmth , so i Hope in theory this works in my favor .
    An as for the Insulation I will have some on order in a few weeks it will be one Layer of the Bubble insulation topped by a layer of the Reflective insulation (bottom walls Only) , The top will be doubled by the clear bubble insulation. an the floor will (under neath side) will be lined by a House fiber glass insulation . Then 4 layers (top of floor) of 4mil plastic with gravel on top .

Daren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insulate it and get a propan/gas heater. I really doubt it will cost you that much to keep it warm.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast