What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New GH In Constrution

• Thread starter CN
  • Start date
I have a true to life example of heating costs :) Although my temps are quite a bit warmer than you! This is on my 8x16x10 g/h with 4mm twin wall poly. The heater maintains 60f but so far has only been used at night as the days have no problem warming up (and requiring the cooler to keep it down around 85f) I filled a 100lb propane tank on 11/13/09 to the tune of $51.35 (2.20/gal @22 gals) I was in the g/h this morning before work packing an order when the heater went out (already had the other tank in my truck to fill today :D) Anyway... That means that tank lasted me 20 days only being used to heat at night at 60f when my nights have been somewhere in the high 30s,40s and low 50s. That's about $2.57 a day. Now, although- we're starting to get cooler... Soon it will be time to take the shade cloth off to aid in day time warming.

I agree with all the stuff Tony has said, heating is fairly easy but not cheap. Cooling and keeping humidity up is the trick (especially for me!).

Andrew

Last edited:
Day two:

2009_12030006.jpg

2009_12030007.jpg

2009_12030008.jpg

Day 3 :

2009_12030009.jpg

2009_12030010.jpg

2009_12030011.jpg

2009_12030012.jpg

2009_12030013.jpg

30 amp Cable
2009_12030014.jpg

The End
2009_12030015.jpg

Thanks Daren

What's the one picture with the plywood/fiberglass batting?

Some additional thoughts based on your site. The end wall next to the house and the vertical wall on the deck side I would use 2" thick rigid foam insulation and panel the inside completely. You won't get much light through either wall based on their proximity to the house and the deck. That will give you an R14 or so insulation on those portions, which will help alot on the heating.

Ah ok. That will help as there is some heat loss through the floor. With the moisture in the ground and the water from above it probably won't take much more than a few years for untreated wood to disintigrate though.

What are you planning to put over the plastic?

Ah ok. probably won't take much more than a few years for untreated wood to disintigrate though.

I am only gonna renew my lease one more year then i am moving went as cheap as possible.

What are you planning to put over the plastic?

I am Thinking about Pea gravel . What do you Suggest ?

Daren

Now i did put a heater in it last night to test it out an i checked it this morning .
with no insulation it was 59º f or 21º c inside and 19º f or -7º c out thought that was good with no insulation (yes i am going to insulate it)
Any how i will update in a week or so

Thanks Daren

i don't insulate my greenhouses, and they are not even sealed properly. I am using an electric floor heater and at times I am only able to keep it in the 30s on the coldest nights. I haven't lost any plants yet, and I do have nepenthes in there. They suffer some, but always make it. We don't get sub zero temps, but it does get cold. I am in zone 7b. We will have a cold snap then it will warm back up. It doesn't stay consistently cold for long periods. Usually a week max, then it is warm again.

Ok got too looking things over today ,an i think i am going to do several things

1).
Going to silicone all cracks except the corners .

2).
Then Going to place one Layer of 4mil clear painters plastic.

3).
Then One layer of Bubble Insulation.

4).
as for the floor I did notice this morning a lil Ice where the insulation was not placed underneath the floor .
so i am thinking about a thin layer of Styrofoam insulation then gravel .

This should help ALOT

WOW
After sealing all the edges of the panels an the frame with silicone the heat an humidity really stay .
temps at night are reading .day 3 after completion 58º inside & 24º outside . 57º inside & 15º Outside (w/no insulation yet ).
Now After i get let my Bank Account build back up i can start on the insulation an gravel . then i can move everything in .

daren

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

OH BTW...
Andrew or anyone else .
I assume that this is a Double wall polycarb right ,Oh an it is 4 mm i did find out .

2009_12060016.jpg

2009_12060018.jpg

Yes it is :) Much better than single wall as far as insulation goes, and for light dispersion :)

Andrew

so then i assume that one Layer of the Bubble insulation would be ok ?
An As for Humidity I think i need a good Hygrometer cause the three i have all read about 6% off from each other .

Are the temps with or without the heater on?

I've never used bubble wrap and I don't know if the tools can calculate for that ??? and 6% off from each other- I don't think you need to know that accurately. All mine are off too by some, but hey- if you know what it is approximately, it's probably good enough :p

I'm going to be following this very closely CN, since we're about all of ... 25 minutes away from each other. i've been considering what i'd do with my own place once I move out of the college town, so i'll be interested to see if you can heat this thing relatively efficiently.

our winters as you know aren't just snow and cold. we have ice storms and blizzards. We hit sub zero temps every winter. I'd love to see how your stuff holds up!

if you can get it done than I know I've got a shot as well.

Good luck!

Well Chris I am praying to the man above that they survive. Maybe one day we could meet up an you can see how they are ....LOL

Now i did do something today that allowed my humidity to go from 30% to 83% in a matter of ten minutes and it hasnt budged for 4hrs ,an i am prolly going to regret it . but the temps are still about the same which is fine with me i plan to move the plants out into the GH today so i will get some more pic's later on tonight .

Daren

Back