What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cps native to California

What cps are native to california besides the cobra lilly?

I have heard there are ca couple drosera, and a ping or two

I think D. rotundifolia is found in approximately the same ranges as Darlingtonia, as well as more broadly among mountain Sphagnum bogs. I've seen them in southern Oregon as well as up in the mountains in Idaho, and those habitats have a lot in common with other sites in the Cascade mountains. Maybe D. intermedia too? Don't quote me on that one though - I get the feeling intermedia is mostly restricted to the other side of the Rockies.
~Joe

a few drosera species, in particular rotundifolia and i think anglica.....
also some pinguicula, not 100% what species i know macroceras is....and a few utrics as well.

I think there might be some sarrs too

P. moranensis as well I believe.

jack - moranensis is native to Mexico and Guatemala...

California and Mexico are connected and I've read field reports about them in CA and odd findings even into N CA.

P. macroceras, particularly P. macroceras ssp. nortensis. However, I wouldn't describe those species as "easy".

By the way, D. californica is the only native species of pitcher plant... ...any reports of sarrs are probably just introduced specimens.

jack - i know they are connected...ive read nothing about it being native to California....and much like the sarracenia, drosera, dionaea, and heliamphora that were found, it is most likely introduced if it is there.

I wasn't meaning to be condescending when I said they were connected.

Try http://www.calflora.org/

Native species
Pinguicula macroceras, P. macroceras var. macroceras
Utricularia intermedia, U. microrhiza, U. minor, U. ochroleuca
Drosera rotundifolia, D. anglica, D. x obovata
Darlingtonia californica

anything else has been introduced.

Thanks. Nice link NaN.

They found heliamphora in California? I have got to see pictures (or at least a well written document)!

Speaking of which, what kind of person would dump a perfectly good heliamphora in the wild? :censor:

EDIT: Lol, it 3 posts popped up in the time it took me to write one.

Nice one NaN - I was going to say to check Pojar's field manuals but that's much faster.
~Joe

PS - Er, I guess Pojar and Mackinnon haven't done a book that covers California... I could've sworn there was one. The publisher has nothing on California! How can this be?

Thanks guys! I think I would like to try some natives, particularly a bladderwort. What could I get my hands on easily?

You said you didn't want D. californica, so I'll leave that one out.

Easiest to find is D. rotundifolia, the classic sundew. However, it lives in Northern CA, which means it likes cooler temps that are hard to reach hear. ;)

You might find D. anglica, D. x obovata, and U. macrorhiza at some specialty CP shops, but in general, they are not as common. Same goes for P. macroceras, but I know where to get that (and D. rotundifolia).

As for the other species... ...good luck. :) They aren't common, but there's always a chance...

Arrg. I wish I could find D. Rotundifolia even!

Good luck finding some! I've been on the lookout for D. rotundifolia from California for a long time.

I've only ever seen D. rotundifolia and anglica growing in a large Sphagnum bog in Northern California. They were a bright red and probably the best looking I've ever seen. (I've also seen the Darlingtonia Wayside in Florence, OR, but that's another story.) I think that I've also seen U. minor in a shallow ditch filled with water and mosquitoes, among other things.

Time was limited, so no pics from the sites. :(

D. rotundifolia in CA, a few locations:
Gasquet, Del Norte Co
Big Lagoon, Humbolt Co
Willow Lake, N. Plumas Co (Mt. Lassen)
a few bogs in the Lake Tahoe area.

D. rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' was crossed from parent plants from Gasquet and Willow Lake. Ivan Snyder says he has come across an "alpine" D. rotundifolia that is quite small. No location details.

I'm stratifying seeds of the first three locations even as we speak.

Back