What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

104+ packs of ~50 Sarr seeds.... received notes and updates here!

With the LFS I use, I get all kinds of weeds growing out of it. :-( I used the LFS to stratify these sarr seeds, and I just looked at my pots since I sowed them maybe a week ago, and I see all these weeds. I started plucking them with tweezers before I thought "you know what, I've never seen germinating sarrs, I should make sure these aren't sarrs," even though they look like the weeds I've been used to.

They seem too tall to be sarr seedlings. Can you tell from this pic? If not, I can take better ones with a different camera.

yZ73V.jpg

The weeds I'm used get such long roots, and I'm worried for my sarr seedlings if these weeds take over. :-(

EDIT: I just remembered that my VFTs and sundews that grew from seed had part of the seed growing out on the end of the green. These don't have that, so these probably aren't growing from seeds, which means these probably aren't sarrs. So that's good, except I have a weed problem.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Hello! I looked through my pictures and found this one of some older Sarrs and some recently sprouted ones. I may have a side view of recently sprouted ones somewhere as well if needed. Hope it helps!
Andrew

sarr+sprouts.jpg

Thanks. These are definitely weeds. I also just noticed mold growing across the soil surface of some of my sundew seedlings. Oh boy.

So, any updates from anyone regarding their plants? Here's mine: i had a ton of these sprout over the winter. they were kept in the greenhouse at my wife's place of employment. she had put some college students in charge of keeping them watered. they failed. well, partially. as of now, I have about 6-7 seedlings that for whatever reason are still growing a little slow, only 1-2 inch leaves. However, I can see some characteristics starting to show on a few of them. One is definitely showing S. minor-like spots along the back of the pitchers. 2 of them are showing some psitt-hybrid-looking pitchers. Another is looking like it might have brilliant red pitchers - time will tell. I tried taking pics, but I have yet to figure out how to take good close-ups with my camera. I'll have to wait till probably next spring to get some photographable pitchers.

i dont think your pictures uploaded, but here are mine. four of them are regular flava seeds i threw into the mix. im guessing theyre the taller ones

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

does nobody have pics of theirs or is there a separate thread for them? i was hoping to see more of other peoples seedlings after i posted mine

Here are some pics of my seedlings from this giveaway. I only have about a half-dozen left, after I forgot to water the pot at one point in the spring, killing off most of them. I like what I see so far. They don't seem to be growing as big as the rest of mine from this year, for some reason.

5065618002_9428aa975f.jpg

This one looks like it'll be quite colorful.

5065617896_557374a29a.jpg

5065005715_b2af1dd784.jpg

another one that looks to be quite colorful

5065004905_b7b15a72a3.jpg

5065004823_0c6f69ed00.jpg

this one definitely is at least part S. minor

i sprouted them outdoors using natural stratification and let them grow all through the summer, brought them in for winter and when it warms up ill move them outside again. ill divide them up during their first dormancy. the tallest is about 9 inches. i fertilize them every two months

1 year after sowing:

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

more people should be posting theirs here! cmon! at least say something about how theyre doing

do you want me to post my sarracenia seedlings?

only if theyre from this batch of seeds that was given away

Back