User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is faster file copying possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may try raising the priority of the process to "High" in Task Manager. This may provide marginal gains of your installer if there are many processes and services running on your box. Just be careful not to set it to "Realtime".

This probably won't help though if the installer is just a shell and is spawing other processes during the install as is common. This is a little out of my area as a DBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is silly... I've noticed that wiggling my mouse periodically makes the files transfer faster and not freeze up. OK! Well that's what I'll do then. It's certainly cheaper than buying new drives! I always though people wiggling the mouse was just a nervous habit like my lip biting.

As I say I do have a firewire slot. I had it built in for an external digital recorder/mixer I was looking at but never purchased. Can say 5 or six external HDD be linked together and run into the single firewire lot? I see they sell External drives the shape of a hardcover and can be stacked side by side, I like that! I could situate them away from the PC by the widow where it's much cooler.

How difficult is it to install a SATA slot? I have a number of unused PCI slots on my case.

Almost everything I have runs on USB 2.0, QWERTY keyboard, MIDI synthesizer, Wacom pen tablet, etc. But it's just no good for drives? Either optical or harddisk? I was looking at the eSATAII at Best Buy today and it appears I could hook it up to my PC through the firewire. I see even seagate has 7200RPM external drives But they are USB 2.0. I'm hoping to get some answers from the eastwest forums about external drives but nobody is responding by even saying I'm being foolish to even ask about it. Like they're keeping it a secret or something! lol

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably want to add an eSATA card for one of those external drive enclosures. Firewire is a little on the slow side and you could do better. The good enclosures come with special PCI controller cards built specifically for managing that connection. Installation isn't hard at all - usually a three- or four-step process, not much more difficult than adding a hard drive and only slightly more involved than popping a new RAM module in.
    Look for 10,000 RPM drives. They're more expensive, but probably what you want. Also, two other measurements you'd be interested in are seek time (you want a low number here) and data throughput (I can't remember the usual name for it - it's the top speed that data can be read in or out - you want a high number for this one, obviously.)
    For the enclosure, if it doesn't break your budget, try to get one that does RAID. With the right flavor of RAID configuration you can get better performance.
    As for wiggling the mouse, it could be that some background process that starts when the computer is "idle" is interfering with the installer. Do you use a screensaver? I suppose Vista might be running some drive indexing or other tasks in the background when it thinks there's nothing else to do.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on XP 32 bit, not Vista. I have the screen saver off but the PC always shuts itself down after like 30 minutes of inactivity(even though files are moving), some "power saving" feature I suppose. when I was using XP 64 it didn't do that. I may revert back to x 64 and add 4 GB more of ram but first I wanna get these libraries onto separate drives.

These dual layer DVDs don't read at all on the Best Buy Vista laptop, is that some error in vista or is it just that it's the cheapest DVD drive they could stick in the thing?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista, XP... I just can't keep track. Either way, it's likely that Windows :D is trying to find something better to do than twiddling its thumbs while it thinks you aren't using the computer.
    It may be that your laptop doesn't have a dual-layer drive. I think my laptop does dual-layer disks, but my desktop that's five or six years old certainly doesn't.
    As for the power-saving feature, you should be able to turn that off. Without a Windows box in front of me, it's hard for me to say how, though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked the drives are set to never shut down during inactivity, just shut off the monitor after 20 mins, I turned that to "never" as well even though turning off the monitor shouldn't really interfere.

I've finally got the entire Brass samples installed, I can either have a coffee and relax or tackle one of the other 4 programs... Installing this software is becoming a hobby in itself!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I had to activate the software after installation so since I already had the dongle in the USB slot (can't have it in while you are installing the programs for some reason) I decided to see what this fancy orchestra set sounds like... HOLY ****! The Wagner Trumpets make you pee yourself with fatherland pride! The enormous 70 piece string ensembles are velvety smooth and grand, solo violins are weepy and warbly just like the real deal (use the mod wheel for even more realism) I'm gonna have some fun with this and I've only sampled a few sounds, there are hundreds more instrument articulations to check out.

Yamaha, Roland, Korg and those others from my past may as well just give up making synths and sound samples! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12