Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Safest?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Safest?

I've recently adopted a male budgerigar. In the process of bird-proofing the room, I had to move out some houseplants, because I'm not sure if they're toxic or not. My mom really wants either new plants, or to figure out if the plants are toxic or not. Would anyone here know what are safe and dangerous ones?

The ones that I did move out were a Chlorophytum cosmosum (Spider plant), a NOID Anthurium, and some sort of straggly Philodendron. Now, the plants probably have to fit some categories: Fast growing, minimal effort, low to moderate light.

Thanks!
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try "parakeet" pal some of us have to wikipedia "budgerigar" !

Are you going to keep it in a fully planted jungle vivarium type avian enclosure? That would be cool!

I have a book on Toxic & Poisonous Plants so if you tell me what species you want me to look up I can give you the info I have on them, if they aren't in the book it doesn't mean they aren't poisonous I suppose but at least if it's in there you'll know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Try "parakeet" pal some of us have to wikipedia "budgerigar" !

Are you going to keep it in a fully planted jungle vivarium type enclosure? That would be cool!
    Not quite, the bird will just have to live with lots of free flight time in the room, which is why I had to bird-proof it (which I've heard is like child-proofing an area).

And the correct term is actually budgeriagar, but most just call them parakeets. Parakeets refer to any long-tailed parrot species.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he wants to let his bird out to play for exercise. Is the bird hand raised? It would be cool to have a parakeet that would land on you.

Get rid of pothos, thats all I know of other then that. Also, unless you are not on the first floor, a closed door is a MUST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hazelnut tree.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL It's like the sign I saw "Cavy Show today" I had to stop and find out what the hell a "Cavy" was!

That's good that he'll have free flight in the house. Aside from stains that's what I would want if I had birds, I hate to see an animal in a "jail".

When I was a kid a lady in the neighborhood behind mine had a house full of exotic birds we used to go help her feed her birds once in a while after school. She had huge cages all over the house but the birds were usually ontop of them or elsewhere in the house they just "slept" in them she said.

My uncle had two scarlet macaws for a year or so but they were really loud during the day and at night their previous owner had taught them to whisper so it freaked out my uncles family to hear whispering at night! lol
    His wife eventually said "It's either me or the damn birds" so the birds went back to their previous owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "look! its an animal gifted with the freedom of flight! let me trap it in a tiny cage and stare at it!"

Seriously though, if the bird can fly around a room and is always feed and given water then I see no problem with having a bird. Especially small species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the same way about people keeping huge fish and reptiles in aquariums just big enough for them to fit in.

A friend of mine kept his veiled Chameleon in a fake ficus tree in the corner of his living room. It never went anywhere other than over to the window to sun himself then back to his basking perch in the tree behind the recliner. Plus if it ever did make a break for it you'd have to be in a coma not to be able to catch it! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast