What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which carnivorous plants do you dislike?

I think pings are boring. There, I said it.

I would agree that butterworts & bladderworts are pretty boring, when looking only at leaves. But their flowers make up for it.

I don't mind flowerless bladderworts (I like tiny carpeting plants) I just wish they could outgrow the pest moss.

U. bisquamata will outgrow any pest moss, and outgrow anything else for that matter :p

I don't like D. spatulata from Austrailia, VFTs that stay rosetted all year long, and I am not a big fan of pygmy sundews. I don't like forms of D. capensis that don't readily curl their leaves.

the basic forms of neps i think they bore me when there are sooo many species that all look the same but i do love neps still and definetly some are cool

I don't like bladderworts...you can't see their trap

I think utrics are definitely under-appreciated. They are very easy to keep. And they flower more than any other of my CPs. I love them and can't wait to get more varieties.

-Hermes.

As much as I like the graceful pitchers of N. Ventrata, I think it's too common in collections and at nurseries, so it's kind of boring.

While there is no specific plant or plants which I dislike, I am simply not fond of long dormancy periods where everything looks like crap until Spring or having to answer just why I let my plants "die" every late Fall or Winter . . .

While there is no specific plant or plants which I dislike, I am simply not fond of long dormancy periods where everything looks like crap until Spring or having to answer just why I let my plants "die" every late Fall or Winter . . .

For me that's the biggest allure of plants like Sarracenia: That they renew annually. To me, it's like getting my very first sarra each and every spring! :)

OKay then I hate green Vfts..they just suck and they look ill...ill

I dislike Sarracenia psittacina and most hybrids that have it as a parent for aesthetic reasons.
Although I do like S.psitticina, I would have to agree about the hybrids, they are aweful looking. I put one of those "bug" series with an obvious psittacina lineage into one of my bogs last year and I kinda hope it doesn't make it through the winter. It's an eyesore in an otherwise great looking bog. Ugly, ugly plants. By the way... if does make it, FREE bug series abberation to anyone who wants it in the spring ! I'm also not a big fan of most Nepenthes hybrids. Crossing them just seems to dilute the most attractive aspects of both parents in most cases, and a lot of them take on that unnatural looking red tone.

-Johnny

I love every CPs. Except those ultra common neps like x ventrata.

I really don't like Darlingtonia for some reason. I think they just look too goofy???

I also hate poison ivy, oak, sumac. I got a real bad case of something on my arm when I made the trip to triangle lake bog in Kent Ohio. Although the trip was awesome, the huge, pussing rash on my arm that lasted for 3 weeks was not pleasant. Especially once it traveled to my fingers and face, which consequently showed up on my first day of work at a new office job. Makes you look a little unprofessional, having to explain the poison ivy rash on your face on day 1. Yuk!:jester:

I dislike many of the Sarracenia and Nepenthes hybrids because the hybrids all look alike and if you buy from a seller who doesn't know the heritage, you're screwed.

Kind of like Pinguicula "John Rizzi". Yes, it looks pretty, but we will never know the ancestry of the hybrid, which makes it confusing as hell.

I love them all. That's why I grow them.

I find the various utricularia and pinguicula species very annoying: In many cases the leaves of different species look identical to others, and you can only know what they are when they flower...

However the flowers totally make up for it :)

I don't like green sarrs, purp hybrids, green neps, neps with super thin leaves, etc.

sarracenia, pinguicula, heliamphora, utricularia, dionaea, drosera, cepholatus ect

edit: JOKING

I like them all except for some neps that have LARGE leafs and TINY boring pitchers, then I dislike them

I also hate poison ivy, oak, sumac.

Poison ivy is rough - I certainly wouldn't grow it in my garden. :D
I think defensive poison is the funniest adaptation ever, though. The original punk'd. ("Oh yeah, want to chew on me? Enjoy your itchy mouth and painful diarrhea.")
~Joe

Back