What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Book Suggestions

• Thread starter Hermopolis
  • Start date
Hey CPers,

I am receiving an Amazon gift certificate which I am NOT allowed to spend on school textbooks.
Thus, I'm spending it on a CP book. I already have Peter D'Amato's and Barry Rice's books, so I'm looking for a suggestion for a third book. I am leaning towards Schnell's book, but I would also like to solicit suggestions.

If you were to add a third book to your CP library, which would it be?

Thanks,

-Hermes.

It really depends on what you are looking for in content. I love Schnell's Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada (2nd Ed.) mainly because I have been highly interested in Sarracenia over the last couple of months. The info it has is much more detailed than the info in The Savage Garden or Growing Carnivorous Plants. I also used it in several papers for school during the last year.

Again, though, it depends on what you are looking for.

well i was going to suggest both of those you already have, and my next was going to be don schnell's book, i don't have it, but have heard it is a great book to have in one's collection.

After going through a couple searches on amazon, this one (The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation ) seems interesting as well, and based on the index, it seems to have charts stating which cp's fall into which categories/locations/etc...

edit:
i second big bella, he sent me (i ended up winning the bid through the NASC aution) a copy of 'insect eaters'... great book

I would suggest any of Stewart Mcpherson books.

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books

Have 4 and read 2 1/2 so far and love them.
1. Pitcher Plants of the Americas - Hardback - read
2. Glistening Carnivores - The Sticky-Leaved Insect-Eating Plants - Hardback - read
3. Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume One - Hardback - Half way thru
4. Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume Two - Hardback - not started

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

The ones on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_ath...ch-alias=books&field-author=Stewart Mcpherson

McPhersons books are worth the $$ ive got the Pitcher Plants of the Americas and Glistening Carnivores and want the other three real bad.....

The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation by Wilhelm Barthlott, Stefan Porembski, Rudiger Seine, and Inge Theisen is a good one aswell, it was originally a German text that has been translated to english....covers some ground Peter and Barry didnt....

Curious World of Carnivores is a nice read. I've wanted to be able to page through the McPhearson books (other than PPOTA), are they full of text and images like the Clarke Nepenthes books? Anyone know of any online sample pages/contents pages?

If they're still available the Charles Clarke Nepenthes books are my all time fave plant books. I've just about worn out my copy of Nepenthes of Borneo!

Schnell's book is nothing short of exceptional! I've not seen a more detailed and thorough book than his. I'd highly recommend it!

You have good general books but if you want to specialize, there's a book on Utricularia (Taylor), another for Pings (Eric Partrat), one for Australian sundews,....

I've wanted to be able to page through the McPhearson books (other than PPOTA), are they full of text and images like the Clarke Nepenthes books? Anyone know of any online sample pages/contents pages?

If they're still available the Charles Clarke Nepenthes books are my all time fave plant books. I've just about worn out my copy of Nepenthes of Borneo!

McPherson's books are about an even divide between photos and text and are reminiscent of some of Clarke's works. The only reason that I did not immediately recommend them were that the titles were to be purchased via an Amazon Gift Card; and the only offerings aside from Pitcher Plants of the Americas were extremely overpriced (US 80-169.00) copies of Pitcher Plants of the Old World being sold by private parties. He'd be far better served purchasing them directly from the author.

Images are available at McPherson's website: http://redfernnaturalhistory.com/books . . .

Thanks Bella,
I've seen the photos on the Redfern pages, I just wanted to see how the pages themselves were laid out - you'd think they'd have a few "showcase" pages from each book. Thanks to a certain TF member in a week or so all my questions on layout should be answered.

Holy... they want that much for PPOTA? I think I only paid $30 for it at Barnes & Noble!

Back