User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Death Cube Growing Advice.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe - me too, Jim. (I guess for me it was nursery death cube -> internet -> bookstore -> internet -> forums.) I think we're probably in the minority though. People turning to research certainly doesn't seem to be subverting the death cube business model.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Hehe - me too, Jim. (I guess for me it was nursery death cube -> internet -> bookstore -> internet -> forums.) I think we're probably in the minority though. People turning to research certainly doesn't seem to be subverting the death cube business model.
    ~Joe
    I'll say... my route was...

Attempt 1 (1980's): death cube -> major university library (repeat/loop) --> hiatus

Attempt 2 (1990's): book store & internet -> online nurseries -> death cube -> hiatus

Attempt 3 (Present): online nurseries -> death cube -> internet -> forums

I find it funny how in my every attempt to grow CPs the death cube does play some part in the process. Doing my research at a major biological research library also in no way prevented me from buying death cubes. I guess that there is something about the $5 CP that one finds irresistible. The death cube does, I suppose, act as low-risk gateway into the hobby.

Granted, however, getting readable horticultural literature in the 1980's that a high school student could understand was next to impossible. The internet has done a lot to make that information more accessible.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant growing hippy uncle drawing my attention to a VFT > me Killing VFT > hiatus > Aquatic plant aquariums > Some kind of weird algae outbreak in my huge tank causing mne to tear it down > Internet & discovery it was not "algae" but Utricularia gibba > Books > hippy uncle gives me a Nepenthes Ventrata cutting along with a bunch of other stuff for my first terrarium (old huge tank) > six or seven years of Nepenthes & Orchids > Hiatus > Succulents > CPs & orchids once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the first time I tried a vft (Lowe's Death Cube #1, 2005?) it came with the instructions to use african violet soil/peat and a lot of light. So I bought the soil not realizing it had fertilizer in it (the bag didn't advertize that until I found it later in the ingredients) and the vft slowly perished. I can agree it was the vagueness of that tag that led me to research, but it was not reading the ingredients on the bag that still makes me "facepalm." Not that just african violet soil without the fert. would've been much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sarrs I got with the keep above 50 also said to winter at orginial planting depth. Who knows what it means? In April I will be getting more of those Keep above 50 at orginial planting depth. I am calling the nursery soon so I can know what to bring money for.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every death cube I've ever read was to vague to draw conclusions, so I researched!

Death cube plant -> Internet (Barry Rice's FAQ) -> Library (Savage Garden) -> Internet (BACPS and ICPS) -> Forums/Internet -> Nepenthes obession

I still have that same VFT now, but my first, an N. ventricosa, didn't live long enough to tell the tale.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12