User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Death Cube Growing Advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst Death Cube Growing Advice.

It kind of struck me that most of got our start with CPs from the ubiquitous death cube. It also struck me that a lot of different vendors must have used death cubes over the years. And since I remember them in my childhood, they got to been around for probably 40 years old. Many times the instructions on the cubes seems to be conducive to buying more cubes rather than the long term enjoyment of the plant.

So, I'm putting forth the question to the user community. What is the worst (or oddest) horticultural advice you ever received from a death cube? I'll even extend this to any potted CP you bought from a commercial storefront (Home Depot, Lowes, your neighborhood nursery, etc). However, it has to have appeared on a commercially printed packaging or labeling.

My contribution to this question comes a VFT death cube purchased from a Canadian hardware store chain around 1980. The insert recommended that the ideal soil mix was 50% peat, 10% sand, and 40% African Violet Mix.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember getting a VFT at the grocery store when i was a kid that had a label which said you could feed the plant small bits of hamburger and "tease the traps with a pencil". It said something like "Make sure you only feed it very small pieces of hamburger and don't tease the traps too often". I'm sure the tap water I used on it killed it faster than anything else though.

Incidentally I thought "Death Cube" only referred to the Lowes CPs sold in an acrylic box?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post

Incidentally I thought "Death Cube" only referred to the Lowes CPs sold in an acrylic box?
    No, "death cube" is usually used as a generic term that can apply to virtually any CP sold with a clear plastic cover..they arent all literally "cubes"..but still, same concept.

my very first VFT was a "death cube" plant..circa 1977 or so..
    I dont recall the growing insructions!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first Was one from a local nursery which said to never use pesticides and keep the soil dry. I kept it wet, My dad got rid of the terrarium i made, and before he got rid of it, I noticed pests. And At My other Nursery, Although This Kind Of Makes Sendse For This Climate, it Said Never Let Temperatures go below 50. well mine are in a garage at about 39 right now
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting premise. I haven't seen any good examples. The problem with the instructions on the ones I've seen is that they're painfully vague. Another issue is that they often emphasize details that aren't particularly important; they'll say don't fertilize but fail to mention to use rainwater, or that you can feed occasionally without mentioning anything about lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Incidentally I thought "Death Cube" only referred to the Lowe's CPs sold in an acrylic box?
    I think it's the box that makes it a death cube, more than where you buy it. Although, a big stack of them with the ones at the bottom stretched and light-starved, like you find at a big store like Lowe's, certainly helps accentuate the death part.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventricosa- 50% peat 50% sand fertilize with favorite fertilizer once a month at half strength and full light! i was appalled!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found labels to just be vague... of course more common than anything is to have completely wrong labels on certain items... i've picked up vft's labeled as neps before... tsk tsk.

the most colorful and stupid growing instructions have always been from the employees at said location. everything from miraclegrow, to near drowning the plant, or constantly keeping the humidity at 100%.. becuase as we all know vft's grow in the rainforest

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, it was that vagueness, that led me to research the plants I had, because "Nepenthes Species" or "Drosera Species" wasn't enough for me. So I found a couple CP books in the chain bookstores and began poring over the pictures (which were inconclusive to me, which led me to the Internet, which led me to the discussion forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast