What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a bonsai tree be made from any kind of tree?

losfreddy

Composter
just prun it and any tree can become a bonsai? is that the trick here? Thinking about getting my bonsai on

Generally any kind of tree. Some don't take well to it. I think that one of the critical parts of bonsai is that you regularly prune the roots in addition to the branches. So if you want to use a plant that isn't already miniature, you need to choose a kind that tolerates having its roots handled. There are lots of good books on bonsai out there - but also a lot of bad ones, I imagine. One of my favorite things to go looking for is old bonsai books at antique book stores. You could also seek out a bonsai vendor at your local farmer's market or the like. Bonsai is an artform that requires a great deal of dedication and patience, so I think most growers you come across will be pretty nice folks. All the ones I've ever met were super friendly and enthusiastic about sharing their experiences.
I think I read that there were famous classical bonsai trees in Japan that were developed over the course of entire generations. Just imagine - passing down a project to your child/grandchild at retirement because the 40 years you put into it only got it started.
Best luck with it. At the very least I suggest taking some time to read a little about the history of bonsai. Even if you don't learn anything useful from it, it's very interesting.
~Joe

Can a bonsai tree be made from any kind of tree?

In theory, maybe..
Realistically..No.

Some trees just have leaves that are far too large, and can not be reduced very much.
For example, the Horse Chestnut has huge fan-shaped leaves, a foot across..I dont think I have ever seen a Horse chestnut bonsai! ;)

Magnolias..huge flowers and huge leaves..again, not so good for bonsai.

Most Palm trees..not so good.

You really want to use a native tree that has smallish leaves..
Maples, Oaks, Beech, Pines, Larches, flowering trees (apples, pears, crabapples)
and many more..
Japanese Maples are probably the single most common tree for Bonsai.

Many people have beautiful bonsai made from flowering trees such as apples..they have beautiful flowers in the spring..although the fruit cant be "reduced"! so normally the flowers are cut off when flowering is done, and they arent allowed to set fruit..although I did once see a cool photo of a small bonsai, about 1 foot tall, with one normal sized apple on it! that was unique..

so realistically..no, you cant really use *any* tree..some just arent practical and cant be made to look good..

Scot

do some reading on it all first, I have a feeling alot of our fellow TF'ers ( myself included ) have considered or started a bonsai project...

they take an INCREDIBLY long amount of time to get started especially if your talking about bonsaiing your own tree from start to finish...

lots and lots of reading is necessary I feel like for a good bonsai :)

Good luck

I was shaping a Corymbia citriodora to be a large-size bonsai and it was about three years along, nearly ready to go in its first bonsai pot, but I did a sloppy job moving it indoors for winter and lost it. I would suggest a gum (Eucalypteae) if you want to train your own plant from start to finish - they're very fast growing and respond well to pruning. cmm is right, though... bonsai is tough and requires some stick-to-it. Not that you shouldn't try, but definitely plan on it being a side-project unless you have the patience of a saint. :D
~Joe

A friend of mine has a huge bonsai collection made up of many different species. He has maples, apples, plums, pears, elms, pines etc... Some of them are over 100 years old ! He's paid upwards of $20,000 for some of them. Now that's a hobby gone out of control if you ask me !

He's paid upwards of $20,000 for some of them. Now that's a hobby gone out of control if you ask me !

I paid $70 for one Sarracenia..same thing really! :0o:
most hobbies have some element of insanity to them! ;)

Im considering paying $250 for a 50 year old lawn tractor..
just because its cool..

Scot

That's one thing , but 20 grand for a miniature tree is just crazy.

Some of them are over 100 years old ! He's paid upwards of $20,000 for some of them. Now that's a hobby gone out of control if you ask me !

That's chump change if you are collecting Antique Japanese Swords or Chinese Ceramics. :jester:

-Hermes.

I paid $70 for one Sarracenia..same thing really! :0o:
most hobbies have some element of insanity to them! ;)

I've seen rare Nepenthes for sale at a nursery for over $1000.

The most I would ever pay for a carnivorous plant would be around $80 or so.

But I personally think a Bonsai tree would be really cool to have. I'll have to look more into them.

I wanna make a Kudzu Bonsai, but I've been told I'm not allowed to cause any ecological disasters this year.

yup you can bonsai any plant you can keep alive, just prune the top and the roots and keep it in the same pot its whole life. ive seen some exasperating azaleas, that were forty years old at a bonsai show, that isn't that old in bonsai culture but, it sure makes a nice azalea.

That's one thing , but 20 grand for a miniature tree is just crazy.

crazy is relative! ;)
I wouldnt pay 1 cent for a Britney Spears album..
anyone who spends more than 1 cent for one is, in my opinion, crazy.

conversely, if I *had* $100,000 in spare change, I would happily buy a 1965 Shelby Cobra..
which many people would consider crazy..

if you have the cash, how you spend it is no one elses concern..

Scot

if you have the cash, how you spend it is no one elses concern..

Scot

Haha - not that I disagree with you, but obviously you aren't referring to the news lately. :D
~Joe

Back