What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Don't worry it's just another day in District 9"

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Been watching all the special features on the 2 disk collectors edition of District 9 tonight. I was and still am thrilled with this speculative fiction ("what if") movie. Anyone one else get this edition for Xmas?

I never saw it in theaters. I was going to buy it a couple of days ago, but went with Paranormal Activity instead.

We just rented the regular one from BB. All in all I thought it was pretty cool. Didn't check out the special features though.

i watched most of the special features that were just on the regular blu-ray from netflix. thought it was an awesome movie, one of the best i've seen in a while.

I actually saw it a few days ago- didn't check out any of the "extras" (the people I saw it with don't "do" extras).
I wasn't expecting much from it seeing as I'd heard mixed reviews, and wasn't really sold on it for about 20 minutes as I didn't exactly love the "pseudo-doc" style, but at around the 20 minute mark I realized it might be OK, and by the end I thought it was actually a really decent film. Only complaints were that the protagonist was a bit of a jerk and thus a bit hard to identify with (his motivations for his weird "I'll do it by myself" freak-out really didn't add up for me) and the telegraphed built-in sequel aspect of the end (I really would have been just as happy if it ended in such a way that the viewer was left with no good answers, as it was they even went so far as to mention "district 10" in the final few minutes which made me cringe just a little)

Anyone who likes sci-fi should at least enjoy it enough to make it through. I was hesitant before viewing it but after finishing it I kind of wanted more of the same. My FAVE aspect was the sort of mundane treatment of the aliens- they were just "there", you weren't supposed to be awestruck by the FX or designs and when they were onscreen they were just "people", the whole "freaky" aspect was pretty much left out of the film, whereas if it had been a hollywood movie I am sure that 30+ minutes would have been boring scenes where you were supposed to be awed by the ETs. District 9 made a novel choice in having the aliens completely normalized and something that the humans in the film treated as part of reality for better-or-worse.

the wife an i saw it in the theater an we both actually fell asleep

I guess I'm the only one who liked the CNN style news clips to setup the background of the story. I was rather hoping the entire film would be that way! lol

I really enjoyed the Alive in Joburg short movie though so how the movie began is what I was expecting. I was actually somewhat disappointed when it degenerated into a regular movie, movie, once they meet up with Christopher and his son. And why was Witkus the main character and not the alien? eh... I don't need the main guy to be a white English speaker, I can empathize with a bug-man. I liked the social aspects of "What do we do with them/how to integrate them to our world now that they're here?" As far as a sequel, you just knew that would happen, I wasn't shocked by that and rather kind of expected it. These days nobody seems to be capable of telling a story in one movie, book, episode, etc.

The extras disk was great, actually there's extras on both disks. However, there's still some scenes from the official trailers that I never did see in the movie or the extras, maybe it will be in the DVD version of the actual film when I watch that tonight.

the wife an i saw it in the theater an we both actually fell asleep

Yeah, Me n' the Missus decided against drinking and popping valium before going into a movie sometime back. :-))

Back