User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of careers can I do with carnivorous plants?

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    So, I'm in college right now and it's time for me to settle on a major and career. However, growing carnivorous plants is my passion in life, and people always say to find a career that you want to do.

So, what careers can I do with carnivorous plants?
    I asked myself the same questions several times last year and decided that there would be no career in biology/botany that would ever satisfy me, despite my love of the subject.

Right now, my plan (which is pretty set) is to major in plant biology and graduate to fly in the Air Force... two completely different areas. Maybe you could do something similar, like (as other people have already suggested) major in some type of biology and then become a teacher. Or another option, major in something else that you have an interest in and minor in plant biology.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i grow up(only 13 right now) i hope to open a nursery/greenhouse. I would have some cps there too.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question (or ones similar) have come up fairly frequently. Here's one thread that came from a search on 'career'.

While the advice 'Follow your passion' is a good one in general, when your passion is the same as many others - be prepared for a tough time upon graduation (think - supply vs demand). In addition, do you really want to take something you enjoy now as a hobby and do it for 8-14 hours every day?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a living from growing plants is a pretty tough row to hoe, it can be done of course. The orchid/Nep shop guy started with one small greenhouse in the 70s and now has one hell of an operation - but now it's almost 40 years later! If you continue to grow them in a hobby sense, while keeping a job that has a regular paycheck, then any money you make from sales can go back into the hobby for new and rare species to grow and propagate. And you won't have to try and scramble to pay the bills with every little plant you sell.

The top 5% of college professors make over $500,000/yr--the highest remuneration of practically any profession. The bottom 5% make less than $15,000/yr. Success (like mileage) will vary.
    I was shocked to find out that my Civics teacher back in highschool made less than my mom who was a factory worker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could grow up and be Stewart Mcpherson the 2nd (see redfernnaturalhistory.com). Have fun eating frogs and fruitbats deep in the heart of bornean jungles when you run out of food!
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I tell everyone who is starting college is this:
    Take a huge variety of courses your first year. If you think you're interested in something, make connections with professors in that particular field and find out what research they are doing. You never know what you are really interested in when you're fresh out of high school and/or barely beginning your college career.

I sometimes notice people that have certain hobbies attempt to incorporate them into their future as a career. Unfortunately, it sometimes comes down to: do you really want to do something you love, but barely earn a living? Sometimes hobbies are just that... hobbies.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the plant business and I can tell you as can just about anyone else, you just don't make enough from selling plants to make a good living. I make enough to put in my next order, lol, and occasionally to put gas in my car or pay for lunch. It is still basically a hobby not really a job.

You could become a scientist and study the chemical make up of CPs to see if something in them could cure some disease or make a new medication or something. As a matter of fact, I donated some nepenthes to someone who said they were doing that. Who knows, maybe they just conned me for some free neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do something you really love to do, make plenty of money, work only 40 hours a week..... pick any two.
    -Emily

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast