Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinal surgery ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinal surgery ?

Anyone ever had a spinal fusion or whatever it's called when they put in a fake disk ? My wife is going to have something done but I'd like to hear from anyone that might have gone through this already.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spinal fusion and a synthetic disk are two separate types of surgeries....if you have an option go with a synthetic disk....all spinal fusion does is get rid of a short term problem and create a whole new one as the stress is just transferred to the joints immediately above and below the fused and down the road you will likely have to fuse them.....if your older, say over 65, go with the fusion, the surgery is quicker and cheaper and it aint gonna matter anyway, if your closer to 30 than 80 and especially if your active, go with the synthetic disk....problem is, its a more expensive procedure that some insurance companies dont want to cover, and its more invasive and gonna hurt alot more for a bit afterwards but in the long run you will have less pain which matters if your 40, not so much if your over 75....however not all injuries allow for a synthetic disk either so keep that in mind.....with either operation, physical therapy afterwards is EXTREAMLY important.....physical therapists are sadistic individuals but they are in the right 99% of the time....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife had surgery about 3 years ago..for sciatica. (lumbar)
    she had a laminectomy, but the disk was not completely removed, and there was no fusing done.

It was mostly a success..she was MUCH better after the surgery than before it..
    (she could barely walk at times before the surgery..it was bad)

things have seemed fine for 3 years..but now the sciatica has returned..same place, probably the same disk.
    We just heard about this new disk-replacement procedure (We never even heard of it 3 years ago..I think its very new)..We want to learn more about it..it might be the way to go..

http://www.spine-health.com/treatmen...sc-replacement

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw it done on a dog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    i saw it done on a dog
    So how's your mom, Drew?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    she said she dident get it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droseraguy View Post
    Anyone ever had a spinal fusion or whatever it's called when they put in a fake disk ? My wife is going to have something done but I'd like to hear from anyone that might have gone through this already.
    Ratter is right, a spinal fusion and a synthetic disk insertion surgery are different.

My dad had a spinal fusion when I was younger.... like 10 years ago. He had it done after two surgeries to fix a herniated disk failed. I remember that they had to make three incisions: one on the location on the spine, one on the upper pelvis to remove bone, and one in the abdomen. They fused two of his lumbar vertebrae using metal screws and bone fragments from his pelvic bone.

Since I was pretty young I don't remember a whole lot. The recovery period was long and followed by years of physical therapy. At first, his mobility was pretty limited, but he's up and about now and has had no major issues since.

Good luck with your wife going through it.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK docs nurse said it will be a trans lumbar interbody fusion, whatever that is. Not looking forward to dragging her to physical therapy after. I suppose we should get through the initial part first though. Thanks for everyones input !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast