Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Record Low Temps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea l Last year and this we had similar temps at this time , however it went on for about twenty days at below 18 at night ,and barely above 24 or so each day , is this due to , global warming? ive heard the winters are to be even colder . if we dont do something about global warming ,
    What about the ice ages that occured b-4 we were even a slug on the beach?
    How does warmer translate to colder winters ? Please dont persecute. Just asking for an opinion. Any one.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't even get me started with Global warming lol

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday night looks like it will be -13 here in Olathe , KS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    yea l Last year and this we had similar temps at this time , however it went on for about twenty days at below 18 at night ,and barely above 24 or so each day , is this due to , global warming? ive heard the winters are to be even colder . if we dont do something about global warming ,
    What about the ice ages that occured b-4 we were even a slug on the beach?
    How does warmer translate to colder winters ? Please dont persecute. Just asking for an opinion. Any one.
    keep in mind we still arent as warm as the Medieval warm period.....during that time Greenland could support agriculture....at this point it cant.....we are in a cycle of ice ages, we will likely be going back into one inside another 10,000 years.....the earth is still physically recovering from the last one...the British Isles are still raising up from the weight of the ice sheets being gone....the coastline of the Great Lakes is still changing, the land there has raised nearly 4 feet in recorded history.....in early Scandinavia the Vikings had laws over who could claim lands that had risen out of the sea......the problem with most global warming models is that they are looking at way to short of a time span and making way to big of a deal about it......over the long haul its been a minor blip within normal ranges....so long as they dont use faulty data....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest beef with the global warming debacle is the hastiness to correlate it to emissions produced by humans. Even if there is global warming it is a LONG stretch to say it is because of people. I think I would agree with Rattler in that we are entering a part of a cycle that has happened before and inevitably will continue to happen.

Humans contribute at most 5% of the CO2 many are blaming for the heating trend. Even if global warming is true, it's not because of what we are doing... we can't stop a natural cycle by simply banning SUVs and planting more trees. What is happening will continue to happen until we work our way out of the current trend. THAT being said, I also believe we are to be responsible and respectful of nature. Any person who uses the rationale I posed as a means to act irresponsibly is an idiot.

My 2 cents. If you are interested there is MUCH data on both sides of the subject. Just don't get your lesson from a politician posing as a climate expert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    methane and water vapor are MUCH worse greenhouse gasses than CO2.........by a long shot....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    How does warmer translate to colder winters ?
    Global warming means that the atmosphere, as a whole, has more heat energy. But that doesn't mean that all temperatures will be higher than their local average; it means that there's more power behind weather systems. The dark side of the earth still cools against the vacuum of space, and the poles still get colder when they shift seasonally out of the sun's light. There are still temperature differences to induce air currents, but they don't follow quite the same pattern that they did at a lower total energy.
    I think the biggest difference is that these changes cause the jet stream to shift. Because the jet stream is one of the main air currents that moves weather systems around, can have a great effect on local trends.
    The earth isn't a ping-pong ball; it has a bumpy, irregular surface made out of many different materials. Where the wind flows matters a lot. Sunlight striking the ocean creates relatively cool, moist air; sunlight on a sandy desert makes the air hot, dry and turbulent. Mountains channel wind along their length, and when clouds try to cross over their peak, it creates rain. Forests slow the wind, humidify the air, and change its gas composition (by absorbing heavy, sinking CO2 and emitting O2.)
    So far as causes, I think it's really hard to pin it to any one thing that we're doing. Gas emissions could be a big part of it, but it could also have a lot to do with deforestation or biological processes in the ocean. It concerns me more that we know that certain activities, like heavy agriculture, contribute to ecological degradation but don't really do anything about it. That the climate happens to be the next natural process going haywire is just a little more distressing than previous stakes, but it's more or less all a part of the same problem. What compels me about the global warming interpretation is that things are changing at a pace that doesn't seem to follow with what we can tell about historical weather patterns. I just want to be able to buy oranges that weren't grown in a lab when I'm an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    Humans contribute at most 5% of the CO2 many are blaming for the heating trend.
    By that do you mean the total CO2 in the atmosphere, or additional CO2 above the average quantity that's apparently spiked since the early 1900s? That statement could mean two very different things depending on how you parse it.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, they may be worse, but it is scientifically accepted that the dominant greenhouse gas is in fact CO2. This is the point to which I am speaking.

Seedjar, good question. I am referring to both accumulation of CO2 in the atmosphere and its concentration. I realize there are differing views, but the 5% contribution at most is the view I stand on.

Phil

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast