Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Record Low Temps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just America who are having a cold spell! We have a foot of snow and beat our previous cold record for this county with -17.6C last night (0.32F)

So close to the magic 0!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -32*F this morning.....have a breeze aswell so factor in windchill and it feels like -50*F.........the truck was plugged in last night and it still wasnt happy bout starting this morning....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Climate change data dumped

SCIENTISTS at the University of East Anglia (UEA) have admitted throwing away much of the raw temperature data on which their predictions of global warming are based.

It means that other academics are not able to check basic calculations said to show a long-term rise in temperature over the past 150 years.

The UEA’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) was forced to reveal the loss following requests for the data under Freedom of Information legislation.

The data were gathered from weather stations around the world and then adjusted to take account of variables in the way they were collected. The revised figures were kept, but the originals — stored on paper and magnetic tape — were dumped to save space when the CRU moved to a new building.
    Related Links

* The great climate change science scandal

* EU figurehead says climate change a myth

The admission follows the leaking of a thousand private emails sent and received by Professor Phil Jones, the CRU’s director. In them he discusses thwarting climate sceptics seeking access to such data.

In a statement on its website, the CRU said: “We do not hold the original raw data but only the value-added (quality controlled and homogenised) data.”

The CRU is the world’s leading centre for reconstructing past climate and temperatures. Climate change sceptics have long been keen to examine exactly how its data were compiled. That is now impossible.

Roger Pielke, professor of environmental studies at Colorado University, discovered data had been lost when he asked for original records. “The CRU is basically saying, ‘Trust us’. So much for settling questions and resolving debates with science,” he said.

Jones was not in charge of the CRU when the data were thrown away in the 1980s, a time when climate change was seen as a less pressing issue. The lost material was used to build the databases that have been his life’s work, showing how the world has warmed by 0.8C over the past 157 years.

He and his colleagues say this temperature rise is “unequivocally” linked to greenhouse gas emissions generated by humans. Their findings are one of the main pieces of evidence used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which says global warming is a threat to humanity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check us out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexis,
    cool pic!
    I suppose it very rare to have the whole UK covered in snow?

Here is a photo of "Lake Effect" snow (from a few years ago)

thats Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron in the photo.
    I get this snow off of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario..
    we have had 2" to 3" every day for the past week straight..
    and no signs of stopping..

Last weekend, areas between Rochester & Oswego NY got FOUR FEET of snow in a few days!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We aren't the sole cause of climate change, but to deny we are contributing to that change as a whole of inhuman humanity is deplorable. We do have a collective effect, period. If you don't believe it you really need to get your head out of your crevice. Nature conservancies (such as Nat. Geographic, with more and more emphasis on the graphic) are documenting our destruction of ecosystems due to multiple chemical byproducts emissions into all water supplies in the world. We are effecting the world atmosphere negatively. I read in Newsweek where a guy came up with an air scrubbing system that could restore the atmosphere. The panels would have to equal the Great Wall of China. This can be done, the G.W.C. was built. We're just not together on it. But that's crazy talk. Just think about it, even though Al gore has made a McDonald's mockery of our impact, to deny our blame for what we do to every living thing on the planet is reprehensible, if not completely evil. We are already paying the price, but not like nature is.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    methane and water vapor are MUCH worse greenhouse gasses than CO2.........by a long shot....
    Good point. We greatly increase those too.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

And to Jim Scott, I've heard the arguments for years. The scientific forecasting program in place cannot even retrodict, much less predict the the weather scenario. Who cares. The amphibians are disappearing everywhere. They are one of the most permeable genus on the planet. Imagine turning on your car and staying in the garage. Now look at the jet planes leaving chem-trails through every inch of the world's sky and now imagine standing behind one and breathing the exhaust... in a warehouse. "Well that's different". Because then you would see the effects. We are too destroying our environment, rapidly.

I'm not an activist, hippy or what have you. When I hear people dismiss our guilt in this because 'Global Warming' is a joke I become so incredibly frustrated I can't hardly bear how ignorant as a species we are so ready to be.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhhh.....alot of the disappearing frogs can be linked to a fungus, chytrid......largely due to man im sure....pollutants aswell but those are separate issues from the global warming BS.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an activist, hippy or what have you. When I hear people dismiss our guilt in this because 'Global Warming' is a joke I become so incredibly frustrated I can't hardly bear how ignorant as a species we are so ready to be.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone ever said we are not contributing nor did anyone say that we should dismiss our guilt. I was simply saying most are getting their meteorology lessons from politicians that are trying to leverage the entire situation to the tune of trillions of dollars. And that MOST CERTAINLY is a concern and I do care.

Phil

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast