What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rain barrell

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date

uphwiz

jimmy
any one have an idea how to thaw my frozen solid 100 gal rain barrel ,my jugs are running out.
Could you use the heat tape ???. such as is used to keep water lines from freezing,
i know nxt year ill need to put something in the water b4 it freezes, i need advise on what to use in that application also , if any knows of an good inexpensive in water heater?

There are actually heaters designed for heating drums but I'm not sure if they're for outside locations. Second to buying some distilled water, your best bet is a "floating pond heater". I have one of the green ones: http://brands.hardwarestore.com/farm-innovators-inc.aspx I can't remember what the thermostat is set to, I think its on at 35F, off at 45F.

I have the same problem with my 55 gal rain barrel...

ive usually emptied 80% out by now and have most of it in jugs ,but got caught off guard this year .
Didn't know winter was coming LOL.
Wonder if it will damage the barrell/ 100gal rubbermade trough, used for feeding cattle think its a fiberglass/rubber compound of some kind , and is graded in three levels small at bottom, so i think the frozen water has room to expand up without binding.

finally thawed out today , i filled every jug i could find,
i think our temps will drop drastically again soon , though the past two days ive been in just a t-shirt , i do so like the cold. well down to say 20 not less sorry zone 6 and under. its not for me

Back