What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are sumersible heaters safe for terrariums?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
I'm setting up a lowland terrerium 55g tank and have a submersible heater in it that doesn't seem to be doing much. How safe are these. I know have to keep the water level above the heater. Any help would be nice. Thanks,
Zero

They're safe as long as you keep them submersed.

I couldn't really see one having any effect on heating anything other than the water, unless you manage to really get the temps up there (maybe in the 90's, which is hard to do consistently with those kind of heaters).

How many watts is it?

When I kept Discus, which require higher heat then many fish, Ebo-Jager heaters where the choice.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11433/product.web

What you need to do to your tank is place insulation on the outside back glass and even side walls to help hold the heat.
That is how I make incubators for my lizard eggs.

Make sure you keep it underwater, or it'll crack. I've had good luck with these for growig LL neps.

Here's my two cents. If you did not have the heater submersed to a certian depth (usauly indicated by a line on the heater) most heaters will shut off. This is a safety precaution so you don't crack it. The key to what you are trying to do is getting a heater that fits the amount of water it is heating vs. a heater for a 55 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon fish tank and the heater is huge (and expensive)! If your only adding 10-20 gallons get a heater ment for 10-20 glallons (As tank heaters go by how much water you need to heat). If you use a large heater in a small amount of water you run the risk of cracking/damaging the heater. Many people use tank heaters in this way.

Back