What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone a member of the International Carnivorous Plant Society?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
So, is anyone a member of the International Carnivorous Plant Society? I'm thinking of become a member.

Thoughts?

I was, and my membership expired. The membership was worth it, especially if you plan on using the seed bank. plus the money from your membership benefits their efforts. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think I have joined..let it lapse, rejoined (a few years later), let it lapse again, rejoined (a few years later) for a 3rd time..let it lapse again..I *think* it was 3 times, but im not sure..
(this was all over a span of the last 16 years)

nothing against the group at all..I just always found the ICPS newsletter to be very dull and uninteresting..
lots of in-depth articles on molecular biology and such..if you are into that, then its fine..
but I often found that entire issues had nothing of interest to me..
I probably wont join again..

but you should try it out for yourself!
you might like it..
I guess I just wasnt interested in that aspect of the hobby..
your mileage may vary..
(im not interested in growing CPs from seed either..tried it, wasnt impressed..dont feel the need to try again! ;)

Scot

I keep meaning to join but every time I have $35 in CP money, I end up buying a plant with it.

I definately plan to join this year though. I have alot of the "got to have" plants out of the way and want to do my part for a good cause.

I was a member back in 1999, but I let my membership lapse when the economy went down the toilet. I liked the journal. Actually, I liked the technical nature of the journal. I just wished there was more of it. ;) But then again, I subscribe to a number of professional/technical journals.

-Hermes.

The only reason I want to join is that they have plenty of seeds that I need (Pinguicula Lusitanica, Byblis, etc)

It's worth it. I've been a member for years and enjoy the newsletter. It does get technical at times but there is a lot of usefull info also. You mentioned the seed bank; if you are a member and donate seeds (which I try to every year), you get access to more rare seeds that regular members don't. Something to think about.

Fred

It's worth it. I've been a member for years and enjoy the newsletter. It does get technical at times but there is a lot of usefull info also.
I've been a member for many years. The journal does go thru streaks where most of the articles are technical - thankfully, there's been a good balance for a while now imho.
You mentioned the seed bank; if you are a member and donate seeds (which I try to every year), you get access to more rare seeds that regular members don't. Something to think about.
Ditto - having access to the rarer seed is definitely a benefit I enjoy & use. However, there's lots of good seed in the main part also. One of the benefits I really enjoy is having access to all the back issues online so I can easily check out all the U. humboldtii (or Heliamphora or petiolaris or ...) articles with a quick search. Give it a shot & see what you think ...

Yes, I am a member and it is worth it to me for many of the reasons already expressed.

Are all the back issues of CPN online? That's what I wanted to join for, to get all the old mags but joining then buying "1000 back issues" (I know it's not really that many) was a huge amount and prevented me from doing so. Is it free to read all the online old issues for members? How about the new issues are they published online too or are they still printed and shipped?

Are all the back issues of CPN online? That's what I wanted to join for, to get all the old mags but joining then buying "1000 back issues" (I know it's not really that many) was a huge amount and prevented me from doing so. Is it free to read all the online old issues for members? How about the new issues are they published online too or are they still printed and shipped?
Yes you can access the older issues.

A year or 2 ago they sent out a CD / DVD with all the old issues on it for you to have a hard copy.

I think I saw an area once on the site that had them all in a zip download for people who did not get the CD / DVD instead of individually downloading them? ??? (There probably is a program somewhere, I know in the past I've used them, that can download all the links on a given page.)

Nifty - I may join then just for that! What about newer issues are they PDF that you get a link to download or do they mail a paper copy?

I wish there was an easy way (sans scanning them page by page) to put all my books on PDF so I could sell them and still have em.

They still mail paper newletters but every issue is available online as a PDF. The PDFs are often available for members before the issue is mailed out.

Cool cos magazines tend to pile up and up, I'm finally starting to tame back the wild book collection - thank god for Half Price Books and cash on the spot! :D

Back