What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter is half over!

(I post this every year! ;)

Today is January 15th..this marks the half-way point of winter for those of us in the Northern US and Canada! :-O

How do I figure that?
easy..Winter is 5 months long..it is the entire months of November, December, January, February and March..So January 15th is half way..
two and a half months down, two and a half months to go! :)

see here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html#seasons

for more info..

Scot

Awesome!

:boogie:

Plus this year is a leap year so that's 2 days less of winter we have to endure :-D

It's in the 50s here though, I can handle this kind of winter anytime!

LOL! We are reputed to have two seasons in Western NY: winter and construction!

Dunkirk Dave and Punxatawney Phill will be expressing their opinions in 5 days.

Bill Murray will be listening to, "I Got You Babe" endlessly, until he develops some altruistic motives.

According to the Late George Carlin: "Tonight's forecast: Dark..."

Reality: It's raining where me and Scot are!

Seriously, by photoperiod / Winter Solstice, we're only about 3.5 weeks into winter. By temperature, the statistical daily average puts us about a week away from the coldest day of the year. Temps follow the defined seasons by about a month.

I am a bit closer... yes! :)

Only halfway? I thought winter was supposed to end with a white Christmas and then it was over right? That was all I agreed to. What is this? :D

Winter is over in about a month for me. c:

It's getting close to Sarracenia flowering time! The high this week is in the 70s and the low in the 50s and 60s! Can't wait :) My B52 is starting to put out more traps and I am seeing signs of life from the poor Ivan's Paddle I threw out in the cold a few months ago lol

Ohhoho, winter is coming to an end soon. I can lots of the little triangular stepioles (spelling?) that are concealing flowers. :D

YAAAAAAAA!!! :-D Winter is almost over!!! ......kinda

YES! :D Now all I need is a reminder when only a quarter of winter's left.... ;)

Still at least 2 more month until the plants start to grow again. then it will be a pollen nightmare for me :(

I feel sorry for you northerners :( Still lots of cold weather left. It's times like this that I am glad I no longer live on Long Island :)

I feel sorry for you northerners :( Still lots of cold weather left. It's times like this that I am glad I no longer live on Long Island :)

Long Island?
Long Island isnt cold..
Long Island does not know real winter.. ;)

Scot

Long Island?
Long Island isnt cold..
Long Island does not know real winter.. ;)

Scot

lol not compared to where you are! I guess it's all relative. Sometimes I think Texas is cold :0o:

Phil

CA is cold ! Brrrrrr ! 40F...

Why so negative ? "Winter is halfway gone?"

"Spring is halfway here !" ;)

Come to montreal, THAT'S COLD(and humid)!

Yeah, I have to agree that winter is about half done, since it really does start in november (sometimes earlier) and ends in mid-march (usually... i've gotten snow on my birthday, on may 6th :p) But the real cold weather has yet to come, so bundle up northerners, it's coming! But I can't complain, it's better than living with tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes.

So true blokeman.....it was 15 degrees april weekend last time I was up there in the spring, although I feel its really the wind in Montreal that makes it feel much colder (Burlington VT isn't much warmer than Montreal). Its the January thaw in MA, mid to upper 30's this week....can't wait until late march/ april when the deep freezes are over

Indigo, I feel your pain in the spring time too....I have had allergies all my life and if I'm not heavily medicated in the spring I'm sneezing repeatedly every 5 minutes

You have a definate point there mr. celtics... as Montreal is an island on the St-Lawrence river, there's always wind, except for the days where it's a nice clear sky, but those days are much colder due to the 'no ceiling effect'. I love it! Couldn't live without winter.

I used to have severe allergies, but took a test where they prick your arm like 20 times and then put drops of different fluids that are basically concentrations of pollen/dog hair/cat hair/feathers/ragweed/etc... those that showed up with reactions, you're allergic to basically. I took weekly shots of small concentrations of those I was allergic to, and I no longer have any allergies, at all.
I've never taken allergy relief medications, reason being is that they supplement your body with inhibitors to block the histamine causing you to have the symptoms you have. Your body (I assume) gets used to not having to take them, and you become dependent to using them.
I speak from experience, as my dad has had to use them, having taken the shots like me, but still has allergies. He took the allergy pills alongside with the treatments, leading me to believe that it's quite possible that the human body ceases to produce as much histamine blocker when taking the pills as opposed to not... I have to admit, that I did suffer, for a while, but my body became accustomed to it, and maybe 5 years ago, I no longer had, or have had allergies since.
Get the shots, it'll change the way you see everything.

Back