User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I think the Sarlacc from "Star Wars" is the most fearsome creature ever imagined

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    1. the guy *just happened* to have the video camera handy at the exact moment the mouse accidently fell in? thats quite a coincidence.
    Um. What? Of course it wasn't on accident. It's obvious he placed a mouce on his plant and waited for it fall...

2. If it was a pet,.wouldnt he fish it right out? (if falling in was a legit accident)
    if he chose to let his pet mouse die and not help it, the guy is scum.
    Or it probably wasn't his pet and he was just feeding his spathulata with a mouse .

3. the odds of the whole thing being faked are MUCH higher than it being real..
    come on..its youtube! its the internet!
    of course its faked..
    Yes, the odds are much higher that it's fake. But that still doesn't mean it's 100% fake, however. It could very well be real, because I doubt he could fake a mouse carcass. Whether or not the mouse died with human intervention or video taker left his plant alone, it's unknown. But I believe the carcass is real.

those videos "support" absolutely nothing..

and there is zero reason the mouse couldnt quickly and easily claw through before it drowned..there are other videos of swimming mice on youtube..swimming around swimming pools, across small streams..etc..they can swim MUCH longer than it would take to rip some flimsy thin leaves with sharp rodent claws..

time a mouse can swim = dont know for sure..but at least a minute..probably much longer.
    time it would take to rip through a nepenthes leaf with sharp mouse claws = 2 seconds.

think about it..mouse claws..rodent claws..rodent teeth...all very sharp.
    compared to strength of a leaf..

do you honestly believe a mouse cant rip a leaf to shreds in seconds?
    come on..the logic is undeniable..

Scot
    Do you honestly believe I'm disagreeing with you that a mouse can escape? Of course I have logic and understand that mice can rip themselves free. I never said that they couldn't. I even said that they could (not directly, anyway). And I also know that they can swim, as most animals can. Even then, there probably isn't that much fluid for them to even swim! But of course, as mentioned by rattler, panic and shock can come into play and possibly drown a mouse (if there's enough fluids). So there's not much of a point on telling me that a mouse can escape through a pitcher if I already know and understand that. But even though they have the ability to, it does NOT mean EVERY single mouse will escape.

Edit: Also, pitchers such as truncata are definitely not "flimsy", but woody, which I believe a mouse would have a hard time going through with its claws and position.
    And yes, I do believe we're getting a bit off topic, so I suppose we should just end this...
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Rancor is way scarier:
    Yes, because it is mobile. The other thing isn't scary at all since, well... I would just avoid going near that big pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    However, Star Wars is all fantasy, but even still, damn that's a creepy thought.
    Depends on to whom you speak.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the original Star Wars Sarlacc better, the one without the beak. The new re-done one with the beak looks all CG'd and stupid.
    Where did you see that it keeps victims alive for thousands of years? I've never read that, and I'm pretty sure they don't tell you anything about it in the movie.

------
    Edit-

Scotty, I'm pretty sure I remember the maker of the video explaining everything on another forum awhile ago. It was set up (he bought/found the mouse, set up the camera, and placed it on the peristome to fall in), but he definitely didn't take it out afterwords.

A different German grower (actually might be the same guy, can't remember.. lol) says that he frequently finds dead field mice in the pitchers of his greenhouse grown truncata. He can tell whenever one has been captured by the smell.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one am a Sarlacc fan!

I buried almost every one of my SW figures as a kid playing Sarlacc pit out in the sandbox - they're probably even still there! Where did that full page diagram of a Sarlacc come from?

On the other hand my fave SW movie was The Empire Strikes Back, I just loved the AT-ATs and AT-STs and I still do! I've been tempted to buy one of those reissued AT-STs toys but $45 seems like a lot and I am TRYING to stop collecting useless crap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McPherson says:
    While at university, I took part in several rainforest conservation programmes in countries across Central America and Southeast Asia. One of these projects involved an eight week stay in the Maliau Basin in Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, and this experience gave me the opportunity to observe Nepenthes in the wild for the first time. To my amazement, in the very first pitcher of a N. hirsuta plant which I examined, I found the body of a dead mouse, and from this experience, my fascination with carnivorous plants was fixed.

Also, in Pitcher Plants of the Old World, he says "very occasionally, Nepenthes also trap larger prey including vertebrates as large as rats and small birds."
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see any possible way a mouse could drown in a nepenthes pitcher..
    its not big enough, there isnt enough water, and the sides of the pitcher offer zero resistance to rodent claws..

Scot
    a person can drown in an inch of water.....all it takes is inhaling a single full breath full of water and your pretty well screwed......aint hard to drown....like i said i dont believe it happens everytime one falls in the pitcher but it does happen....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mice can swim but the hygroscopicity of water vs Nepenthes pitcher fluids are vastly different. Plus it looks to me like the camera was fixed rather than held. I totally buy it, it's been found in the wild so why not in cultivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my two cents:

Mouse teeth are very sharp and long, but held at a certain angle. The wall of a Nepenthes is curved in a way to make it hard to bite anywhere. Try biting a balloon, and see how far you can go.

The mouse would also have nothing to hang onto to get enough leverage to bite or claw it's way out.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast