Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: lighting spectrum

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then it should be a non issue mate

Mine are not isolated in any way and I don't have any problems maintaining proper cold spot temps.

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Hermes, you said for a typical rack... and in the other thread of swords you came back and said that you were talking about a 400 watt Input fixture when they dont exist or if they do they are not typical either
    A true 400W input fixture might not exist, but even with a 20% energy overhead of MH ballasts we are only talking about 480W input. This is close enough. But that other post was claiming a double energy consumption over 480W of T12s. You should know that the energy consumption of either fixture should be approximately the same. And perhaps, I should have been more specific rather than use the word "typical." Either way, that was two posts ago and I had subsequently defined what kind of grow space I use, so the objection is no longer valid.

I dont know of anyone who uses 10 tubes, much less 12... none
    Here's a commercial fixture that uses 10 tubes [http://reefbuilders.com/2009/09/30/r...ing-fixtures/]. Of course, I was thinking of more along the lines of 24" tubes and fixtures since the bulbs are often easier to find. And of course, Sfiligoi Stealth used to make a 12 tube fixture--I don't know if they still do. Here is someone who is using 12 tubes to grow orchids, mayres' post [http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...or-phals.html] Of course, manufacturers love to waste money making fixtures that no one uses.

How about you stop making wild statements based upon something you've read on the Internet Especially, when you dont have any actual experience with the item in question, Student
    You do not have to drink cyanide to know it is a bad idea. Hands-on experience is not the only way to learn something. If that was the case, why would anyone spend their hard earned money learning under your teaching when they can just go experience it for themselves? You can't be a very good teacher, Prof.

Nevertheless, I have used (and presently use) fluorescent lights to grow my plants. I have used T12s, T8s, and a variety of compact fluorescents. My suggestions are based upon my previous experience with these lamps combined with the manufacturer recommendations for T5s. I had also done my research on T5s since I almost purchased such a system; however, I was presented with a really good price on MH ballasts which is why I ended up going that direction instead of T5s.

Typical rack, with 6 5000k 85CRI bulbs

[gratuitous pictures snipped]

You see Student, I know I'm no expert on lighting but my T5 comments are not based upon something that Ive read online or heard second hand. However, they are from actual experience and experimentation with the different lighting formats.
    Nevertheless, you are using a multiplicity of lamps--six of them by your own admission. So, in fact your counterexample is the exception that proves my case, which is that one needs many tubes, not just two.

Thanks...

-Hermes.
    Last edited by Hermopolis; 01-17-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: To withdraw inaccurate information, thanks vraev.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    While your pictures are spectacular, they are also a straw man since they are not taken under T5s but T8 lamps, since "85CRI" bulbs are in fact T8 not T5. These pictures are not proof based upon any "actual experience" you have had regarding T5s.

-Hermes.
    Dude...What do think T5 means? What does T8 mean?? The color rendering index doesn't define T5 or T8. 85 CRI can be produced by even metal halides. T5 bulbs are 5/8" in diameter, T8 are 1" diameter. Just because a specific phosphor composition of a T5 produces 85 CRI and not higher, it doesn't mean the bulb gets diminished to T8.
    Those plants were grown under T5. Av has given a lot of demonstrations of his setup and based on that, I got a 4 tube T5 fixture with the same bulbs. It was Av's experience that convinced others and myself that T5s when used correctly can produce stunning results in horticulture.

here are some links that might be useful:

T5s : http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpi...s/lat5/pc1.asp
    CRI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Dude... 85 CRI can be produced by even metal halides.
    Good catch. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Av has given a lot of demonstrations of his setup and based on that, I got a 4 tube T5 fixture with the same bulbs. It was Av's experience that convinced others and myself that T5s when used correctly can produce stunning results in horticulture.
    This may be hard to comprehend but I agree with Av on T5 fixtures. They do produce stunning results in horticulture. I never said otherwise. Av and I agree more than we disagree when it comes right down to it. And while I am certainly no expert on lighting systems, I do think T5 fixtures are the best solution for those getting into high end lighting systems. My only problem with T5 fixtures is that people tend to underscale them, and thereby limit their potential effectiveness and versatility. That's really the only issue I have.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These "my light are bigger than your light" fights are lots of fun to read but in all seriousness I have to wonder at what point are we getting into diminishing returns with the amount of energy some people are using.

I mean, I'm currently growing and flowering succulents with four T 12s, I grew and flowered orchids & HL neps from seedlings/clones with six T12s for a number of years and the plants did not grow slow or poorly colored. Anyway I used 4 - 6 T12s over my planted aquariums and it was plenty enough light for robust aquatic plant growth necessitating weekly pruning on the stem plants and glossostigma carpets.

Just saying, sometimes it seems like people are getting a bit ridiculous with the lighting. 8-10 -12 lamps, it's like muscle car modifiers trying to out do each other...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea the 4 bulb t-5 HO fixture is just in ,and im a bit concerned its a little hard to look at the plants , their glowing , this will take some getting used to, and i will need a small fan or two to direct the heat away from the top of the terr , im not leavint them on unattended till i do this. i'll post a few pics tomorrow. showing the diff between the 4 t-12 and the 4 t-5 HO's, its quite shocking.
    Two bulb fixtures would surely be more light, than 4 of the t-12's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it arrived quickly! No problems with cracked tubes or anything? That's one thing I'm worried about with ordering is getting a box of busted 4' bulbs. Are they shipped already installed or in separate sleeves?

I'm sure there'll be some acclimation time if 4x T5s equals 8x T12s and your plants were used to 2x T12s. If you can hang the lights higher and drop 'em down an inch a day over a week or two until they're fully exposed to the blast should be a safe way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds great , im gona try this,.
    the shipping was superb , no broken bulbs, fixture in one box, lights in another with the typical light weight cardboard around each bulb and then the four bulbs were wrapped in a double layer of bubble wrap, then both boxes were in another fairly heavy cardboard box plain no labeling except for a fragile sticker , Most impressed , will order another from this company if i need one , like this is going to be the last light fixture i buy.LOL
    thanks swords for the contact great company

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast