Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: lighting spectrum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lighting spectrum

Im getting my first two bulb t5 HO fixture and have a glo HO t5 actinic blue spectrum bulb 54 watt, what should i put in with it , im thinking something in the red spec, say 5000 lumens w a 3000k spectrum 54 watt for the reds, or should i go with a multi spectrum bulb , i know there are several of these threads but . ive read several and am confused .
    Help please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    Im getting my first two bulb t5 HO fixture and have a glo HO t5 actinic blue spectrum bulb 54 watt, what should i put in with it , im thinking something in the red spec, say 5000 lumens w a 3000k spectrum 54 watt for the reds, or should i go with a multi spectrum bulb , i know there are several of these threads but . ive read several and am confused .
    Hi Jim,

I'd go with a 6500K or 10,000K bulbs for such as small system. A 3000K spectrum bulb will be very yellow. With T5's a mixture of colored bulbs works well. A 3000K bulb is a great addition if you have 7 other bulbs of other colors. I am concerned that that you only have two tubes. Unless you have a very small space of illumination, 2 tubes is probably not going to be sufficient for most CP lighting needs. You have to think of T5s in terms of an array of many bulbs. T5s are good and flexible lighting but they require many bulbs to be optimally effective. If you are doing a typical grow shelf, you may need up to 10 tubes.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one shelf of 18" x 46", and im using two t 12s now one ecoluxbulb 1900 lum don't see color temp on these(it does say for plant and aquarium and, one daylight bulb 2250 lum w/5000 color temp, ive had very good results whit these two bulbs, isnt the two t5 going to be stronger light with better results.
    Iuse double this over my highland terr. and it is also doing well . so i was thinking about replacing one set at a time, and am looking for the best two bulbs i can use in this setup (IE) two bulb fixtures,added one at a time , or is this no better than the t12s im using now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use double this over my highland terr. and it is also doing well . so i was thinking about replacing one set at a time, and am looking for the best two bulbs i can use in this setup (IE) two bulb fixtures,added one at a time , or is this no better than the t12s im using now?
    The mystique and tribal knowledge that surround T5s is somewhat unfortunate. Yes, it is true that T5s are more efficient than T12s but only at their proper operating temperature of 35 degrees Celsius, when it can be 45% more efficient. However, outside of this temperature range it is not significantly more efficient; most other fluorescent lamps are most efficient at roughly room temperature. Most aquarium hoods that use T5s are designed with this operating efficiency in mind.

There are two things to keep in mind with T5s. (1) They generally come with a highly efficient reflector, which concentrates the emitted light downward. Without this reflector, much of its efficiency is lost. (2) T5s are intentionally designed with a small form factor so you can pack them into a fixture.

If implemented correctly, T5s are fantastic lights. But they are more difficult to implement correctly than other lights. Most people tend to get sticker shock and undersize their lighting systems when it comes to T5s. But if properly scaled, T5s can give beautiful and effective light. I highly recommend their use; just implement them correctly.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same question is the t5s im planning going to be better than the t12s im using now 54 watt t5 ,verses 32 watt t12
    cant find my celsius to fahrenheit chart ,whats 35 degrees celsius in fahrenheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same question is the t5s im planning going to be better than the t12s im using now 54 watt t5 ,verses 32 watt t12 cant find my celsius to fahrenheit chart ,whats 35 degrees celsius in fahrenheit
    95 degrees F. Are T5s going to be better than T12s? Yes, but that is because T12s are woefully inadequate. Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, I know lots of people use T12s with CPs successful. Nevertheless, T5s are not so much better that you can replace 2 T12s with 2 T5s and expect a huge improvement. But whether T5s give you the optimal lighting will depend upon how you implement them.

Using T5s requires a different kind of paradigm than using T12s. T5s are great but you need a lot of tubes to achieve adequate lighting; that's how they are designed.

-Hermes.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T5's aren't much better if you aren't getting a fixture with individual polished reflectors, which dramatically increase the efficiency and output of each bulb. I don't have exact numbers, but I know it's something crazy like double (or more) output with the polished reflectors. If you aren't getting a fixture with those, then I personally wouldn't bother with T5's at all - too hot, not worth the money (IMO), need more bulbs, etc, etc.
    Be prepared to pay though, nice fixtures are not cheap.

Which one were you planning on getting? Do you have a link?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herm,

IMHO the ambient temp issue is way overblown in our application. In the micro environment of the fixture this is not a problem when used for the typical grow rack. Now if they were in warehouse or an outside installation where they were not able to stay hot then yes.

Mine are in an non heated basement and the coldspot of my bulbs stay at the desired temp... I have personally checked with infrared. ( there is an old post ofmine about it)
    Its just a non issue in my personal experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    Hi Jim,

If you are doing a typical grow shelf, you may need up to 10 tubes.

-Hermes.
    I have to ask, but have you ever grown plants using T5's? Have you found the need for 10?
    Going by my personal experience with them, I cant see the need for 10 tubes for a typical grow shelf... that just blows me away

FWIW, I ran all 5000k 85CRI up till very recently and had excellent results

Just my 2 cents

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    T5's aren't much better if you aren't getting a fixture with individual polished reflectors, which dramatically increase the efficiency and output of each bulb. I don't have exact numbers, but I know it's something crazy like double (or more) output with the polished reflectors. If you aren't getting a fixture with those, then I personally wouldn't bother with T5's at all - too hot, not worth the money (IMO), need more bulbs, etc, etc.
    Be prepared to pay though, nice fixtures are not cheap.

Which one were you planning on getting? Do you have a link?
    This is very true.... it's 300% (Id have to dig though my data to get you a specific ref, but its well documented)
    and the individual reflectors and short distance (relative) to the plant also reduces the benefits of mixing bulbs IMHO
    again, by personal observation

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast