Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hope and Change! woo!

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtics2008 View Post
    I was a Sociology major not a Poly Sci major...in fact I didn't take 1 poly sci course. As for CNN I never watch it, but I did take a course on the sociology of News and how EACH station distorts the truth. In fact I usually tune out new stations except the local paper, if I do watch the News I flip between FOX boston and WBZ boston. As for the Senate seat, mind telling me how long Teddy held it, or John Kerry? It would go a long way in explaining why it has been held by democrats for so long in MA.

My definition of Historic is something that changes the course of history for a life time, not 2 years. 9/11 was historic, the Kennedy assassination was historic, landing on the moon was historic...

As for the Patriot Act, mind telling me instances where it has worked and protects us from harm, as opposed to the CIA doing their job both domestically and internationally?

Hey Scotty - tell me why was Jack E Robinson a better choice for conservative republicans as opposed to scott brown in the original election? Tell me why Scott Brown targeted INDEPENDENT VOTERS and DEMOCRATS ON THE FENCE? Also humor me by saying why a republican won in a so called "traditional" democratic state if democrats are supposed out weigh republicans heavily in this state? Logic would say democrats had to vote republican for Brown to win based on the voter turn out. Keep on thinking you know about MA politics...I don't pretend to know about NY politics now do I?
    I never said you were a polysci major... I was simply saying with the right knowledge base ANYONE can fully understand and comprehend what is going on politically in the mysterious state of MA. As to your point about the senate seat... I am referring to the state as a whole being reliably democratic since 1928. In the last 10 presidential elections MA has gone to a Democrat 80% of the time. In the Senate a Republican has not won since almost 40 years ago.

It has come to semantics in terms of what historic means. We'll agree to disagree, since it will be a fruitless discussion.

Actually I have MANY examples of when the Patriot Act has worked but unfortunately I can't give you the specifics. I have worked in bank investigations for several years and have seen FIRST HAND the apprehension of criminals. Sometimes one can connect the dots from the initial perpetrator and take down an entire operation. You made a blanket statement that just isn't true. You know that the media is selective in what it communicates to the public, so you should have a firm understanding that much goes on behind the scenes that the public does not know about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I never said you were a polysci major... I was simply saying with the right knowledge base ANYONE can fully understand and comprehend what is going on politically in the mysterious state of MA. As to your point about the senate seat... I am referring to the state as a whole being reliably democratic since 1928. In the last 10 presidential elections MA has gone to a Democrat 80% of the time. In the Senate a Republican has not won since almost 40 years ago."

This isn't presidential, its senatorial....therefore the candidate who wins represents the people of that state and their point of view, not the entire USA's point of view. I am saying that sure you get the news, but can you say this win by scott brown came down to the people of MA's point of view on the issue of health care reform alone? Surely he won on other points than just that. Did you hear hear about him campaigning in vital places earlier on last week with schilling, flutie, daughter ayla, etc. i.e going to the south shore, and north shore, and down to the cape? places where it had previously gone to ted? What I am getting at he did not win solely on the health care issue alone and blocking a 60 majority in the senate by democrats. Do you think that the corruption on beacon hill (mostly democrats) had a little to do with people's disinterest in the democratic party here? I would also be curious to know how close Bush Sr. round 1 and Reagan came to winning MA, I bet its closer than you think. There is more to his win than what national media channels are giving you is my main point here.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Scotty I love how you look at this like MA is against Obama's plan entirely as well as the national democratic party's point of view. You couldn't be more wrong about why and how Scott Brown won MA. This wasn't a landslide win here 52% to 47%. Tell me why he keeps saying this is the people of Massachusett's seat? If you only knew about life with and life after Mitt Romney you just miiiight have a clue why Brown won by 5%. Do you think Deval Patrick and the other local's on beacon hill had ANY THING to do with the margin of victory by Scott Brown? Keep dreaming Premier Bush and Cheney were good for the USA....have I ever denied health care and ever increasing taxes weren't on voters minds? I have yet to defend Martha or support her if you have been paying attention

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtics2008 View Post
    "I never said you were a polysci major... I was simply saying with the right knowledge base ANYONE can fully understand and comprehend what is going on politically in the mysterious state of MA. As to your point about the senate seat... I am referring to the state as a whole being reliably democratic since 1928. In the last 10 presidential elections MA has gone to a Democrat 80% of the time. In the Senate a Republican has not won since almost 40 years ago."

This isn't presidential, its senatorial....therefore the candidate who wins represents the people of that state and their point of view, not the entire USA's point of view. I am saying that sure you get the news, but can you say this win by scott brown came down to the people of MA's point of view on the issue of health care reform alone? Surely he won on other points than just that. Did you hear hear about him campaigning in vital places earlier on last week with schilling, flutie, daughter ayla, etc. i.e going to the south shore, and north shore, and down to the cape? places where it had previously gone to ted? What I am getting at he did not win solely on the health care issue alone and blocking a 60 majority in the senate by democrats. Do you think that the corruption on beacon hill (mostly democrats) had a little to do with people's disinterest in the democratic party here? I would also be curious to know how close Bush Sr. round 1 and Reagan came to winning MA, I bet its closer than you think. There is more to his win than what national media channels are giving you is my main point here.

Agreed. I do think a lot went on behind the scenes, but that is the dynamic of ANY election. But I also agree with Scot in that many are downplaying this win. I look at the history of the state in terms of politics and I look at what happened. What happened contradicts many of the prior decisions made in MA. Has there been success in terms of the Republican party in MA prior to this election? Yes. Has there been strong success? That would be a resounding no. I do not think myself or anyone else is wrong in finding a correlation between the poor approval rating of President Obama and a Republican win in a state that historically isn't exactly what I would call a state up for grabs.

Phil

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pseudo-logic of this thread is astounding. Have any of you read word one about political trends? An upheaval is entirely to be expected at a time like this; we're on a cusp between conservative and liberal politics. It happens about every forty years. Any statistician worth their beans would laugh these arguments out of the room - this is not (yet) representative of any sort of trend at all. Call me when ten traditionally stagnant seats change over at the same time; that would be unusual. One is an outlier - they happen all the time.
    Why is it so mind-boggling to die-hard leftists or rightists to imagine that some people vote based on something other than the labels politicians give themselves?
    ~Joe

PS - Er... that came out a bit rant-y. But as a mathematician, I must voice my strong objections. :/
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the record Clinton didnt balance the budget.......how can you have a balanced budget and hand out refunds if your in debt.......just a thought......cant make that sorta math work in my personal finances.....

swords, you say you make $30,000 a year and dont get the republican side.....combined between my wife and i working 2 over full time and both of us working part time jobs barely broke $50,000 last year...paid for our own health insurance out of pocket.....i dont want a damn thing to do with most of DC's help.....especially putting them in charge of my health care......Montana has had no problems helping out those that really cant make ends meet though they try....well over half the children in the state are on a state sponsored health care program, a program i agreed to raise my taxes for to support even though my girls dont qualify for it and yet Montana still ran a balanced budget last year, a real one.....you want state sponsored healthcare? figure out how to run it in Minnesota and leave my tax dollars out of it....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler, I sometimes get the feeling that your experience with politics has been very different from my own. I much envy the apparently egalitarian climate you seem to live in. Where I've come from, the powers that be will backstab you quite reliably if you don't demand public rights and liberal involvement with community/governmental bodies. The simplicity of conservatism is quite appealing to me, but the people that run for office around here just aren't trustworthy. (I guess it's kind of a, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" kind of thing.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    live in a state thats fairly independent, big on letting you live your life how you see fit.....live in a part of the state that if a natural disaster hits we likely aint likely to see help and have to step up and help ourselves and deal with it in house so to speak.....

i grew up poor, my first vehicle was the one i bought myself when i was 20, have been working since i was 12....ive got thousands of dollars in guns, most paid for cause i decided i wanted it than ait peanut butter sandwiches for two months to pay for it....i dont look and dont ask for a handout.....if i aint happy bout my situation i dont look around for someone to help me i just figure no one aint and deal with the problem head on myself.....

in general i dont like the democrats cause they want to take my hard earned dollars that i busted my **** for.....ive got no problem helping ppl, i give thousands of dollars of my money every year to help individuals on hard times, have had to eat peanut butter sandwiches because of it before.....but i knew the money was going to those that prolly could use it more than me.....the federal government has a long and documented history of screwing things up....rather see things run locally.....if i need to i can get in and personally complain to my governor cant do that to DC....the current gov is a democrat that i voted for cause he has told the feds to screw off and leave us alone on several occasions, infact he seems to love passing legislation for no other reason that to flex states right muscles and piss off the feds.....he also is dead set on running a balanced budget by cutting expenses, not by going into debt.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people of Mass will see their mistake before long as their new Senator votes in lockstep to prevent any real change on any front. Meanwhile the Democrats will get off their fat, lazy behinds and realize they have to nominate energetic, aggressive, progressive candidates, and that passive, weak candidates just don't cut it. If you look at what people were dissatisfied about, it was that they don't feel that their needs are being taken care of while Wall Street and the Bankers and such are all bailed out. Well, they'll be in for a rude surprise when their new Senator does nothing for them either, but the message should be loud and clear at the DNC. In the end, this will be a good thing for progressives and Democrats. A wake-up call, if you will.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast