What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Sketchup users?

Hey folks just been watching some You Tube videos about how to use Sketchup, Google's Free 3D program. I want to work out both the build of my new vivarium stand before I build and the layout room they'll be in and see what sort of setup I like best.

Right now the only thing that I am perplexed with is why i can't push an internal square all the way through a coplanar box and have it disappear like in the tutorial videos, it just makes a square pushing out the opposite side. Handy for some things I'm sure but want it to disappear and make a punchout or "window".

Just curious if any of you have used Sketchup and feel like sharing your models or have any tips for a complete newbie at it. At least I can comprehend what to do using this compared to Blender where I just stare dumbfounded at the screen and poke at random buttons until I get to something asking for number inputs, then I shut the software down! LOL

o i love that i use it all the time

Are you trying to make cut outs but all you end up with is window shaped indent? Well if so what I do id just make the indent, not all the way, just as deep as you want it, and click the face you want gone and press delete on your keyboard.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, its a bit hard to explain, I'm sure if you fool around with it you'll learn.

Here's my model I've made a bunch but this is my most complicated and hardest, the hardest parts were the yellow shafts on the roof, and the doors and staircases. Its not even done yet

I don't know if anyone would recognize it, its the priniciple office from ReBoot the first CGI Television series ever made! There are a few things out of proportion which would be difficlt to correct, so I haven't bothered...

Untitledpo.jpg

actual thing from the show (which I love)
Principal_office_6.jpg

Principal_office_ruins.jpg

Holy mackrel that's fantastic Carnivore! Did you make the model in sketchup and then texture it and give it the environment in Bryce 3D? I have Bryce 6 but drawing anything in it is so tedius it's cool for making moons atmospheres, rocks and texturing objects though.

Thanks for the tip - the delete button does take care of that window problem I was having.

Thanks Swords!, everything is done with Sketchup. Just in case, remember one the first one is mine, the other two are from the actual show ;) I wish I could make something that detailed!

Glad the window thing worked.

Still a lot of neat detail in your model! How long do you guess it took to complete?

Anyone know if you can export sketchup items as Objects to open in other programs for texturing and scene building?

Hospital with a rocket launcher!? That's the new American health system! :D

exactly so when terrorists finnaly think " o man we probobly should not have gotten involved with a military vastly superior than ours" and trys to steal medical supplies this hospital will be prepared

Google sketch-up has a 3D warehouse where you can download models other people have created.

I mainly just want to use it to draw up schematics of my terrariums & wall stand build before I start cutting wood. Basically I want to build it before I build it too see if I've misjudged any spaces or anything. I love that I can type in a value while dragging the mouse and the box will be exactly 48" x 24" x .5" or whatever I need.

Anyone else here done something similar to Virtual DIY builds before actual construction? I've always used pencil and paper to draw things up but these models I've seen look so nice and clean. I watched some videos on You tube of people making various styles of cabinets with Sketchup which was similar to what I wanna do I guess.

Is there any way to turn off the irritating sky background without using the "fog" setting?

Back