What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infrared RC interference

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I just got a little RC helicopter that runs on infrared signals, instead of radio. It's how your TV remote works.

Well, I opened it up yesterday and turned it on, and it set off the smoke/fire detector. The alarm was making a funny beeping, not at all like what it sounded like when I set it off last week ;), and quit as soon as I shut off the 'chopper. :-))

Who'd-a thunk it?

LOL my boy found out that his would set off our smoke/carbon mon. detector... I ended up having to take it away :p I'm not sure if it is setting it off... Or if it part of the new features. I know it says you can mute an alarm by using your remote... But I really didn't read into the actual instructions to see if it could also be used for testing. :p

Andrew

I know it says you can mute an alarm by using your remote..

Would have been handy to know that a while back... My condo insisted on installing a fire alarm at the top of my 15 ft vaulted ceiling - I have no 15 ft ladder to change the battery which of course went dead at 4 am and started beeping. I "shut it off" using my old spear from my Renaissance days - stabbed it right off the ceiliing! LOL

LOL for some reason, if I were asked "How do you think swords would shut off a smoke alarm mounted on a 15ft ceiling, when it started going off at 4am?" That's exactly what my response would have been! :-)) I think the tv remote thing is pretty new, and very few at this point.

And yet, we've never had the remotes interfere before. Funny!

It's something worth looking into, but only for those that don't have a smoke alarm hard-wired to Life Alert. We called, and they said we'd have to call in each time we wanted to play with the helicopter! :lol:

Back