Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Size Chart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growth points are usually not under ground. They break out of the ground and show buds. That's a grow point.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe look closely at the surface where the growth points come out of the rhizome and count them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Describing size is a tricky business. I like this thread!

Brokken has a point about rhizome size. Rhizome of flava var. rugelii is twice the size of flava var. flava for instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally, i don't really look at size when ordering plants. if i want it, i'll get it. for the most part, when you order a plant, you know it's going to be at least a few years old, unless it's specifically labelled a seedling. therefore, if it doesn't flower for you the first year, you know it will only be another year or so till flowering. i know most people would prefer to buy a large flowering-size plant rather than waiting a couple of years, but most people selling are selling the divisions off large mother plants, rather than the mother plant itself.

as far as a size chart, i don't know of any universally acceptable criteria. what's large to one person maybe medium sized to another, and so on. It never hurts to ask someone prior to ordering exactly how large/old the plant you want actually is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brokken has a point about rhizome size. Rhizome of flava var. rugelii is twice the size of flava var. flava for instance.

So what would be the difference in pitcher height in these two plants of the same age? Would you be able to look at the plant and tell by pitcher height or size?

A division is still considered a mature plant, isn't it? A division would be listed different from a younger plant right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post

So what would be the difference in pitcher height in these two plants of the same age? Would you be able to look at the plant and tell by pitcher height or size?

A division is still considered a mature plant, isn't it? A division would be listed different from a younger plant right?
    I have a short-growing clone of var. flava that tops out at 1.5ft. I grow a var. rugelii that is twice that tall. I think that's about average for that variety.

A division is just a piece of a plant. It could be a piece of a small plant.

I usually try to tell people how many growth points, how tall the pitchers are and what size pot it should go in so they don't need to repot in 1-2yrs. I often email pictures as well. That's one approach. I know someone who tells you they're small or medium when he knows they won't ever get bigger. That's another approach!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely depends on the species or cultivar as brokken mentioned. The photo below shows all flowering size rhizomes with the exception of the small one on the far right. You can see the differences and each one is of a different species or cultivar. I currently have a flowering size hybrid where 'Leah Wilkerson' was the seed donor and this rhizome is HUGE. A single crown could not be planted in anything smaller than a gallon pot. Classifying them as flowering size and number of crowns is the way to go IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bottom left rubra ssp. alabamensis from TC
    middle left S. minor
    top right S. flava var. rugelii
    bottom right (2) rubra ssp. rubra or primary hybrid

I kid!!! I don't know what they are but they look great. I hope to see pics of them planted out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast