Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Size Chart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia Size Chart?

Is there a commonly used size chart for sarracenia? I'm thinking probably not, because everyone has such widely different views on the sizes of their plants. I've been buying a lot of them lately. One place I bought from that advertised large plants were really big, what I call large, with rhizomes nearly the size of my fist and multiple growth points. Two other sellers who came recommended sold me "large" plants that I would have classified as a seedling - smaller than what I would call a small! I was very mad, and wouldn't have paid that money for the plant if I knew how small it would actually be. Another person I'm talking to is calling a "large" plant with a rhizome the diameter of a pencil. Sounds small to me. So how do you rate the size of a sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I refer to the number of growing points and if it is of flowering size. IMO a 3 growth point Sarr is considered large, 2 medium, 1 small. Of course just like everything else; there are exceptions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know growth points without digging it up and looking at the rhizome? There's got to be a better way.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

I'm going by the general rule that anything that fits into a 4 inch pot or smaller is a size small, and 6-8 inch pot medium, and gallon or larger is a large. But that can be difficult to fit all sars into that size category, because some are faster growers and some get larger than others. So 2 different plants could be the same age yet vary greatly in size because of the growth habits of the 2 plants.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been purchasing a lot of Sarracenia lately as well. I have receiving very large rhizomes with just 1 growth point and i have received small rhizomes with 3 growth points. I think the best way to classify them is simply are they at flowering maturity or not.

I know what you mean though... "Large" seems to be very relative in the carnivorous plant world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well. It makes it hard when I'm trying to decide if a price seems fair or not. But when I'm trading or selling anything, I guess I can just keep making my size classification as clear as possible for the recipient of the plants.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think $20-25 is a fair price for a flowering Sarracenia. But it also depends on the variety. Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' will be quite a bit more than that unless you get lucky in a trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One adult sarracenia variety will be different than another. An adult S. psittacina rhizome will be considerably smaller than an adult flava rhizome. Something to consider.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have paid 20 bucks for what was labeled LARGE and what I got was barely big enough to plant in a 3 inch pot. And then from another seller what they labeled LARGE was almost too big for a gallon. Big discrepancy in size.

How do you tell growth point without digging up the plant to look at the rhizome?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast